If you use your Android smartphone and need to transfer large files to or from your computer, the size of those files can make the process difficult. Compressing, or zipping, these files makes the process smoother. However, you cannot zip or unzip these files on an Android unless you use a third-party app.
If your job demands that you send many large files, or if you just want an easy way to send a large number of pictures to someone, zip files are a necessity. This article shows how to compress or decompress large files on your Android smartphone using an app called RAR.
RAR is an unzipping tool developed by the people who created WinRAR, their Windows application for the same purpose. Using the mobile app you can unpack files from RAR, ZIP, TAR, GZ, BZ2, XZ, 7z, ISO and ARJ formats. However, you can only archive, or zip, files in RAR and ZIP formats.
Using this app will allow you to handle these types of files easily. The following steps show what you need to do.
How to use RAR to unzip files in Android
1. Download and install RAR from Play Store.
2. Open the RAR app. It will take you directly to your files.
3. Locate the directory that the file downloaded to. Tap the folder where the file resides.
4. Click to put a checkmark next to the file to unzip.
5. Tap the Extract button.
6. Select the destination path you want by clicking the button and choosing an option. You can choose a different path by clicking Browse. You can also just use the default path.
7. Tap OK.
The program will then display the file(s) that were in the ZIP folder.
Create a ZIP file
Creating a zip file on your phone so it can easily transmit via email, or another method of your choice, is also simple to do.
1. Open the RAR app.
2. From the file manager select the files you want to send by checking the box next to them. Make sure the total size does not exceed 707 MB.
3. Hit the “Archive” button.
4. Choose the file format you want to use from RAR, ZIP or RAR 4.x.
5. Change the destination path if you want to use something other than the default.
6. If you want, you can also add a password to the folder that your recipient will need to open the files.
7. If you want to delete the files, you can check that box here. You can also create a solid archive. A solid archive is an archive packed with a special compression method that treats files within the archive as one continuous data stream. You need to save as RAR for this option to work.
8. Click OK.
You can now send those files with fewer worries about whether your recipient will not receive them due to their large size. Just select the folder by checking the box, click on the three dots in the upper-right corner, select the method you want to use to send the files, and you are done.