Projectors have long been a necessary device in the business world. We use them to make presentations with PowerPoint, display documents for a larger group viewing, and to watch movies. Usually, we think of connecting the computer with a wire to the projector, but that is no longer the case. Now you can connect your phone to that projector over a wireless connection and display your content without being tied to a computer.
To connect your Android device to a projector usually requires three things: Access to the Wi-Fi where you are, a second piece of hardware like an adapter or laptop, and an app.
If you want to project your content onto a larger screen but don’t want to be tied to a laptop, here are several options.
One of the easiest ways to send your phone’s screen to a projector. Chromecast and Android are both Google products and therefore are easily compatible.
To use this method, you need a Chromecast adapter for $35. The adapter is available at any retailer that carries electronics.
1. Turn on your projector.
2. Plug in the Chromecast into the HDMI port on the projector.
3. Plug the power cord into the projector’s USB port.
4. Download the Google Home app and connect the Chromecast to your phone.
5. Display your Android phone through the Chromecast by tapping the cast button in the program you are using.
Miracast is a media-streaming device similar in function to a Chromecast. It allows you to send the media from your phone to another larger screen for more comfortable viewing.
For this to work, both your projector and phone must support Miracast. If only your phone supports the connection, you will need to purchase a Miracast receiver. Different manufacturers sell these receivers for somewhere around $40.
To set up a Miracast connection using the adapter:
1. Turn on the projector.
2. Plug the Miracast adapter into the HDMI port on the projector and the power cord into the projector’s USB port.
3. Connect your Android phone to the Miracast by tapping the cast button in the program you are using.
3. Manufacturer Equipment
The projector may have the ability to connect to your phone built in by the manufacturer, making it a “Smart projector.”
Look up the model number of the projector online to determine if your projector has this capability. If it does, you should be able to locate specific directions for connecting your phone to the projector.
Using an app like ApowerMirror is not technically wireless. I’d call it “Semi-wireless.”
I say semi-wireless because the projector and your laptop connect with a cable such as a VGA or HDMI, but you are not tied down to using the computer to control the presentation. You can still be moving about with your phone.
This screen-mirroring app has some useful features including full-screen view, recording your screen activity, taking screenshots, and the ability to draw or write on the screen like a whiteboard. They have also recently rolled out a PowerPoint remote control.
Here’s how to use ApowerMirror to send your Android screen to the big screen.
1. Set up your projector, attaching the computer to the projector using a wired connection.
2. Install the ApowerMirror app on your desktop. When you click Download, the file downloads directly without displaying another page.
3. Download the app to your Android from Google Play Store.
4. Connect your computer and your phone to the same Wi-Fi.
5. Launch the app on your PC and also on your phone.
6. Mirror the Computer screen to your phone, and you can control your computer from your mobile device. It will look like this on your phone.
To use this program, you need to have a free account. There is an upgrade available if you find it useful and want more features.
You can use any of the methods listed above to connect your Android phone and your projector wirelessly and make presenting your content on a large screen easier.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox