Reddit is a unique social media platform that operates in far different ways than Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. While it doesn't use hashtags, you can add Reddit flair to posts and user accounts in certain situations. While some would view flair as a colorful tag or snippet of text, it can enhance engagement within a subreddit. If you are curious about what flair is on Reddit, are looking for more information on adding flair on Reddit, or other helpful tips, this guide explains it all.
Good to know: there are thousands of communities available on Reddit, but we highly recommend following these subreddits.
What Is Reddit Flair?
Reddit flair is a customizable flag or label you can assign to your account or posts you make in specific subreddits. These labels serve as a way to add context, categorize content, or provide additional information about the post or Reddit user.
The use cases of flair can vary, based on whether it is user flair or post flair.
- User Flair: in some subreddits, users can add Reddit flair that appears next to their usernames whenever they comment or post on that subreddit. These flairs can represent various things, such as the user's role in the community or their expertise. User flair on Reddit is also a great way to express yourself without changing your Reddit username.
- Post Flair: different subreddits use post flair to categorize the content people share, making it easier for other community members to filter posts to find what they are looking for. For example, in a subreddit focused on cooking, you may find post flairs like "Recipes," "Tips & Tricks," "Discussion," and so on.
Apart from these, other flair use cases may include making announcements, marking posts related to special events, and verifying the identity of a user. Flair can also add a certain visual appeal to usernames or posts by making them distinct.
Tip: crosspost on Reddit to increase engagement on your posts.
How to Add Flair on Reddit From Your Desktop
Before you add user flair and post flair on Reddit from your desktop, you will need to log in to your Reddit account and go to the subreddit you wish to add flair to. Also, you will need to verify that the subreddit allows flair, as not all of them have user flair or post flair enabled.
Add Post Flair
To add post flair, follow these steps:
- Once you have the subreddit pulled up, click on the "Create Post" option on the right side.
- Expand the "Flair" option to view a list of all the flair options.
- Choose one and click "Apply" to proceed. When you hit the "Post" button, the flair will show up on your post.
Add User Flair
Adding user flair on Reddit is a bit different than adding post flair. Follow these steps to add Reddit user flair to your username in a subreddit:
- While in the subreddit you wish to add flair to, move to the section on the right, and click on the pen icon under the "Create Post" option.
- Click on the pen icon next to "User Flair."
- Search for required flairs, or enter your own in the text field under "Edit Flair" (if the subreddit allows). For the latter, you must click the pen icon option under the "Search for flair text" field.
- Check the box next to "Show my user flair on this community," then click "Apply."
Also helpful: go Incognito on Reddit if you don't want people to see what subreddits you enjoy.
How to Add Flair on Reddit From Your Mobile
Follow the steps below to add user flair or post flair to Reddit when using your mobile device.
Add Post Flair
Note: although we've outlined the steps using an Android device, they also apply to iOS devices.
- Once you enter the targeted community, click on the plus icon at the bottom of the screen to add a post.
- Click the "Add tags & flair" option on the following screen.
- Choose your desired flair, and click "Apply." Optionally, add other tags to the post.
That’s it! Your post should now have flair. If you post it, make sure you are abiding by reddiquette.
Add User Flair
To add user flair instead, follow these steps:
- In the targeted subreddit, click on the menu icon (three dots) in the top-right corner.
- Choose "Change user flair."
- Click on the "User Flair" option.
- Choose your Reddit flair.
- Enable the "Show my flairs in this community" option, and click "Apply" to save the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I edit Reddit flair after posting?
Yes. To edit post flair after posting, click on the post, and select the menu icon in the top right. Choose "Change post flair," and an option.
Can I add multiple flairs to a Reddit post or username?
No, you can only use one post or user flair at a time. If you don't want to use any flair, click on the menu icon for the post, and choose "Change post flair -> None."
Can I hide certain flair on Reddit?
At the time of writing this article, Reddit does not offer a feature that allows you to hide certain flairs on the platform. You can, however, use third-party tools for this. One popular option for Reddit desktop is the Reddit Enhancement Suite extension.
Image credit: Pexels. All screenshots by Zainab Falak.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox