Not having access to your favorite websites is a frustrating ordeal to face. Sometimes it may be a general problem with your Internet settings or just some problem with your ISP.
There is a possibility that some websites will be blocked by your service provider. This is often the case on school campuses where you may be restricted from viewing certain websites.
There are a few ways to scale this hurdle. There are a host of tools you can use on your Android smartphone, tablet or other Android device, but you will find the use of Virtual Private Networks (VPN) the best bet.
A VPN will run as an app on your device. It will hide your identity and help you gain access to content that will be otherwise restricted to you.
What to consider before getting a VPN for your Android
You should know that not all VPNs will work the same. It is wise to avoid entirely free VPNs. Here are a couple of pointers while you consider what VPN to get for your Android device.
- No logging policy – Just like your ISP, it is possible for your activity logs to be stored by your VPN. You should consider a VPN service that observes a strict no-logging policy.
- Powerful encryption – There is an industry standard of 256-bit AES encryption. It is the standard you should seek in a VPN.
- Android support – You must ensure the VPN you are considering has support for and will work seamlessly with Androids.
The best VPNs for accessing blocked sites
1. Express VPN
ExpressVPN is a great choice for its ease of use and its speed. It has also grown a reputation as one of the most popular VPNs on the market. It comes with a number of advanced features. Of note is its AES 256-bit encryption. It also offers three concurrent connections.
With its Android app, you will have access to high-speed servers across 94 countries. You will also enjoy 24/7 customer support and live chat.
NordVPN is registered in Panama, and its VPN services more than a million users. With more than five-million app downloads, they are also a popular choice.
Of its many cool features, one not to skip over is “Double VPN” technology. This technology adds an extra layer of security by passing your connection through two separate VPN servers. With its zero log policy, you can be confident none of your activity will be tracked.
The app may lack configuration options, but it is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
This is arguably the fastest Android VPN. It has one obvious downside, which is the absence of a kill switch. A kill switch comes in handy in the event of the VPN dropping. It will ensure that the Internet connection is shut down instantly.
IPVanish has a zero logging policy. It also maintains the industry AES 256-bit encryption standard. You will also be able to promptly resolve whatever issues you may have, thanks to the 24/7 support offered.
How to set up a VPN to view blocked websites
Having reviewed a few VPN services, I hope you can make a choice on what service to go with. Once you pick a service, follow these steps:
1. On your PC or Mac, open up a web browser and create an account for the VPN service that you have chosen.
2. Download and install the app on your Android device. (Depending on the service, you may have to download an APK and install manually.)
3. Log in to the app with your credentials. This will allow the app to automatically locate the fastest servers for you. (If required, confirm any security messages from the app on your Android.)
4. Let the app run in the background, and keep it open whenever you are on Wi-Fi with restricted websites.
There are a number of VPNs that will offer support for Androids. The final choice of VPN will depend on your personal preferences. Any of the above-named VPNs should make a good choice for using on your Android devices.