Apple products are so famous that almost all the accessory manufacturers want to build items that can be paired with the Apple devices. There is no lack of unofficial items for the Apple products, ranging from earphones to charging cables, you will find almost everything available for your iDevice in the unofficial market. With the launch of the iOS 7, Apple put a restriction on using unofficial lightning cables to charge iPhones and iPads. What this means to an average user is he/she will not be allowed to use a lightning cable that is not manufactured by Apple. Feeling sad? No worries, the tweaking team has got a solution to your problem.
What You Need to Know
In order to be able to use an unofficial lightning cable with your iDevice, you are going to install a Cydia tweak.
Your iPhone/iPad must be jailbroken before you can do this procedure. If it is not, Google is your friend.
Getting the Tweak Installed on your iPhone/iPad
Before you even begin installing the tweak, make sure your device is either fully charged or has at least 30% of battery life left. It is not a good thing to get a corrupted download just because your device got turned OFF during the process.
1. Unlock your iDevice and you should arrive on your SpringBoard. Tap on the “Cydia” icon available on your device. We will be using it to add a tweak to our iDevice.
2. At the bottom of the Cydia app is an option that says “Manage”. Tap on it. It will let you manage Cydia sources on your iDevice.
3. When you are in Manage section, you will see three options on your screen, namely “Packages”, “Sources” and “Storage”. Tap on the one that says “Sources”.
4. You should now see all the sources on your screen. Tap on the “Edit” button given in the top-right corner and then hit “Add” given in the top-left corner. It will let you add a new source to your Sources list allowing you to get extra packages from this new location.
5. A little box will appear on your screen asking you to enter the Cydia/APT URL. Simply put in the following URL into the box:
Then hit the “Add Source” button. It will then download the available packages from this new repository to your iDevice and it should let you know when it is done.
6. Tap on the repository you just added and it will show all the available packages. Look for the package named “Unauthorized Lightning Cable Enabler” and tap on it and install it on your device.
7. Once the tweak has been installed, you will be able to start using your unofficial cables the way you did with the previous versions of iOS.
That’s all there is to it.
Apple put thousands of its customers into darkness when it imposed this restriction in its new version of the OS. However, the third-party developers came to the rescue of those users and saved them from damaging their pockets!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox