When you attend an online meeting, you just cannot do without improved audio quality. The speakers used in many Windows laptops typically don’t measure up. You can either use conference-quality headphones with a microphone or any regular headphones after resolving the sound issues.
There is another method that will give you even better results: using the powerful speakers of your Android or iPhone device.
We discuss two popular apps that reliably perform this switching: WO Mic and EZ Mic. Both of them use very similar methods, and we can extend the same techniques to cover other apps in the marketplace.
Use WO Mic on PC
WO Mic is a leading third-party microphone system, which is absolutely free to use on Windows. However, there are a few advertisements on the mobile apps that aren’t very intrusive. You can get rid of those ads with a cheap subscription. WO Mic is already being used by millions of users, and you will get good results while using it for your PC microphone.
In the past, there were malware concerns with WO Mic, as there is a namesake malware that creeps into your system undetected. To keep your system safe, be sure to download the WO Mic client installer and apps from the official source only.
1. Download WO Mic App to Phone
- You need to download the app and install it on your phone. WO Mic supports both Android and iPhone devices. It has a simple homescreen where you have to hit the “Play” button to use the smartphone speakers on Windows PC.
- Go to the Settings icon to select the transport mode: Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, USB, or Bluetooth. Other than Wi-Fi Direct, the transport mechanisms work flawlessly.
- Your client device (laptop) and phone should have the same transport connectivity. Here we chose Wi-Fi as the transport mechanism.
2. Install WO Mic Client on Windows PC
- On Windows PC, you need to install WO Mic Installer for Windows. There will be a “Please select a language option,” followed by the WO Mic Client Setup screen shown below.
- The system will automatically choose a WO Mic driver for the version of Windows you use. To know the system type of your PC, search for “system information” in the Windows search box. This will tell you whether your system is x64 or x86.
- Choose the components you want to install. While a Desktop shortcut can be useful, it’s better to disable auto-launch when the system starts.
- The WO Mic Client installation is over in a jiffy, and you should see a completion status message prompting a reboot.
Optionally, some users may see a message about the WO Mic drivers installation on a command prompt screen. This will close on its own.
3. Connect WO Mic Phone App With WO Mic on Windows PC
In the next stage, you will be able to connect the WO Mic phone app with WO Mic client on Windows.
- Open the client on your computer and click “Connect.”
- There are four connectivity choices: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, and USB. If choosing Wi-Fi, the IP address shown should match the IP address generated in the phone app.
- Once you open the WO Mic app in Play mode, you can see the IP address. It has to be the same as WO Mic Client.
- The connection between the Windows client and app takes a few seconds. The following screen shows Wi-Fi connecting between the phone and PC.
The procedure to connect WO Mic using USB or Bluetooth is just the same, meaning you need to choose the suitable transport mechanism on the WO Mic app.
However, Bluetooth has a separate secondary requirement of pairing that you can’t achieve without this audio transfer.
- On your Windows 11 device, go to “Settings -> Bluetooth & devices” and make sure Bluetooth is turned on. On Windows 10, the corresponding option is “Settings -> Bluetooth & Other Devices Settings.”
- Click “Add device” to pair a new Bluetooth device to your Windows PC.
- You will be able to see the phone with its Bluetooth turned on. It will automatically generate a PIN on both phone and PC. To connect, you need to verify that both PINs are the same.
- You will notice a “connection succeeded” message once the Windows laptop is paired with the iPhone or Android phone on Bluetooth.
- WO Mic Client will show a “connected” status when the two devices are connected, whether it is Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or USB.
- You will also see a connected status in the WO Mic app.
Once the smartphone speakers have been enabled for the Windows computer/laptop device, you can see the WO Mic enabled during an audio call.
Use EZ Mic on PC
Another service called EZ Mic achieves similar results. Again, you have to download a Windows installer and smartphone app, but no separate drivers are needed.
1. Download EZ Mic Windows Installer
- You can download the Windows installer on the official site from a “Setup” menu on the homepage itself. During installation, you will have to find a destination for the program.
- It takes just a few seconds for the installation to be over.
- Once you launch it, no GUI screen will come into view, but EZ Mic will show up in the System tray menu.
2. Download EZ Mic Phone App
- Download and install the EZ Mic phone app for Android or iPhone.
- Go to the “Find” menu option to discover the device for pairing. The connections happen over the same local network (Wi-Fi) or USB.
- After you discover the Windows computer device by name, you can pair it. This will transfer the smartphone audio and microphone to the Windows laptop. The only downside of EZ Mic is that the free option to connect the devices only lasts for five minutes. After that, a full version has to be unlocked.
- As soon as you transfer the audio source from your smartphone to your PC, you will be able to see EZ Mic as the default virtual microphone on your Windows PC. Your smartphone’s audio will take over the PC function.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should I connect WO Mic via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?
While you can use WO Mic with Wi-Fi, USB, Bluetooth, and even Wi-Fi Direct, the most reliable means is Wi-Fi, as you only have to establish the Wi-Fi connectivity between your phone and PC once. The connection doesn’t drop out, and on each PC login, you quickly reconnect with the device. Also, if you have a good Wi-Fi speed, you will not encounter any jarring or echoes, which is sometimes an issue with both USB and Bluetooth and especially Wi-Fi Direct.
2. WO Mic Client keeps disconnecting. How can I solve the problem?
To prevent WO Mic Client from disconnecting, make sure the smartphone is charged via a cable and that battery optimization is disabled for the mobile app. On the Windows device, ensure that your Wi-Fi connection continues to work while the device enters Sleep mode in, say, five minutes.
3. Can I use my smartphone as a webcam too?
Yes. With an app like Droidcam, you can turn your phone or tablet into a webcam for your Windows PC.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox