Did you know that you can sign into Windows 8 using a picture and gestures instead of a traditional alphanumeric password? Windows 8 has a feature called “picture password” that gives you a great alternative to logging into your computer with.
To use a picture password in Windows 8, you can forget about typing in a password. Instead, draw (with your mouse) three custom gestures over a picture of your choice. Best of all, this method is more secure than a traditional password.
Here’s how a picture password in Windows 8 works:
1. First, make sure that you have the picture you want to use already on your computer. Then, go to the “Change PC Settings” option, which can be accessed from the desktop, Windows Start Page, or any other application.
2. To get to the picture password option, open up the Windows charms which will pop out on the right side of the screen. You can access the charms by moving your mouse to the top right corner or bottom right corner of your screen, or you can use the “Windows Key + C” keyboard shortcut.
3. Click on the “Settings” charm – the one at the bottom.
4. A sidebar will open, and you will see the “Change PC Settings” option all the way at the bottom; click on it.
5. Once PC Settings opens up, click on “Users” on the left side, and then click on “Create a picture password” on the right side – under “Sign-in options.”
6. You’ll need to confirm your current password first, and then you’ll be able to choose a picture from your computer. Click on “choose picture” on the left side of the page.
7. Once you’ve chosen a picture, you can drag and position the picture so that it’s just the way you want it. When you’re done, click on “use this picture.”
8. Now you will need to draw three gestures on your picture using your mouse. These gestures can be any combination of circles and straight lines. Once you draw your three gestures, you’ll need to repeat them for verification. At any time, you can click on the “start over” button at the bottom left corner if you mess up.
9. Once you’ve verified your gestures, you’re all set! Your picture password will be used the next time you sign into Windows.
What’s even better is that you can change your picture whenever you want. So if you find a cool picture while browsing the Web, you can save it and use it as your new picture password in Windows 8. Oh, and don’t worry, if you forget your gestures, you can switch back to your old password.
Photo Credit: totumweb