Instagram is known for constantly adding new features to its basket. The latest addition is called Notes. If you’re curious to know what Notes on Instagram are and how they work, you are at the right place. Let’s check how to create, delete, and turn off Notes on Instagram.
Want to get creative on the app? Learn how to make a collage on Instagram.
What Are Notes in Instagram Direct Messages
Instagram Notes are just like Stories but text-based. They last only for 24 hours after which they vanish automatically. You can consider them little post-it notes or sticky notes that people can see when they open the Direct Messages section.
Here are some important takeaways about Instagram Notes:
- You cannot add photos or videos to Instagram Notes.
- They have a 60-character limit.
- Published Notes do not send a notification or appear in your feed. These are only visible in the messages section.
- People can reply to your Notes and the reply will show up in a message.
- They are somewhat private and can only be seen either by your close friends list or followers that you follow back based on the privacy setting selected.
- You can create any number of Notes in 24 hours but only one Note will remain active at any given time.
Tip: Get up to speed with the meaning of various icons in Instagram messages.
How to Post an Instagram Note
To publish a Note on your Instagram profile, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your Android phone or iPhone.
- Tap on the Direct Messages icon in the top-right corner.
- You will find the Notes section between the search bar and your messages. Tap on the “Leave a note” button to create your note.
- On the next screen, type your Note in the “Share what’s on your mind” box.
- Instagram allows you to share your Notes with two sets of people: your followers that you follow back and your close friends list. Select the appropriate privacy setting.
- Up next, tap on “Share” at the top.
- You will be taken back to the messages screen where you will see your note.
How to Add a New Note on Instagram
If you want to add a new note within 24 hours of publishing a Note, your existing Note will be deleted first, and only after that will you be able to add another. Basically, you can have only one Note published at a time in 24 hours.
To leave a new Instagram Note, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram messages screen and tap on “Your note.”
- Then, tap on “Leave a new note.”
- Type your Note, select the desired privacy setting, and hit the “Share” button. The new Note will replace the existing note.
How to Delete an Instagram Note
If you don’t want to keep any Note published on your profile, you can delete the Note as shown below.
- On the Instagram messages screen, tap on “Your note.”
- Then, tap on “Delete note” at the bottom. Your note will be deleted.
How to Reply to an Instagram Note
- Tap on the Note that you want to reply to. A pop-up box will appear from the bottom and you can type your message in it.
- When you’re done, hit the “Send” button.
- Your reply will be sent as a regular message and will show up in the chats of both users. Others will not see your reply.
How to Turn Off Notes on Instagram
Unfortunately, if you don’t like the Instagram Notes feature, there isn’t much that you can do about it as you cannot turn it off completely.
However, if Notes from any specific profile are bothering you, then you have a choice to mute their notes as shown below.
- Go to the Instagram Direct Messages screen.
- Touch and hold the person’s profile picture in the notes section.
- Select “Mute notes” from the menu. The other person will not be notified when you mute them.
Tip: If someone keeps bothering you on the app, you can go ahead and block them on Instagram.
How to Unmute Someone From Instagram Notes
To unmute a user for Instagram Notes, follow these steps:
- Open the profile whose Notes you have muted.
- Tap on the “Following” button.
- Tap on “Mute” in the menu that shows up.
- Turn off the toggle next to “Notes.”
Tip: To view the people whose Notes you have muted, go to Instagram “Settings → Privacy → Muted accounts.” You will see the muted accounts for Notes at the top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why don’t I have the Notes feature on Instagram?
Instagram Notes is a new feature, and like all Instagram features, it takes a couple of months before everyone gets it. So if you’re not currently seeing it, you might need to wait for a while. Meanwhile, you should try updating the Instagram app on your phone.
Can you track who viewed your Instagram Notes?
No. You cannot see who viewed your Notes on Instagram unless they send you a reply via Direct Messages.
Can I see a follower's Notes if I haven't yet exchanged Direct Messages with them?
Yes. As long as you also follow the person, you will see their notes in Direct Messages.
All screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox