If you use a password managers to manage and save your passwords securely, then you might have heard about Bitwarden. It is an open-source password manager that is highly secure with a user-friendly interface. However, one feature that few know of is the ability to send encrypted text or files to others. This feature was recently introduced to Bitwarden in March 2021. Here, we show you how to use Bitwarden to send encrypted text or files.
What You Need to Know About Bitwarden Send
This feature of sending encrypted text or files is called Bitwarden Send. Using this feature, you can send a text and also share private codes, legal documents, or any file up to 100 MB in size. Moreover, Bitwarden Send can be used with anyone, including those who do not have Bitwarden accounts.
Some other benefits of Bitwarden Send are:
- Your data is end-to-end AES-256 bit encrypted.
- You can set expiration date, deletion date, number of people who can access, etc.
- Every Bitwarden Send link is a randomly generated and secure link.
There is one limitation, though. Free Bitwarden users can only send text, while Premium users can send both text or files to anyone.
Use Bitwarden Send on the Web
If you use Bitwarden on the website, then you can make use of Bitwarden Send from any computer.
1. Head to the website and log in to your account.
2. Tap on the Send button on the top menu bar. Under Send, click on the “+Create New Send” button.
3. Add a name to describe the send.
4. Select the file or text you wish to send to others. As a reminder, only Premium users can send File attachments.
5. In our case, for sending text, enter the information you wish to encrypt and send in the Text box.
6. You may opt to check the boxes for “When accessing the Send, hide the text by default” and “Copy the link to share this Send to my clipboard” upon save.
7. There is an OPTIONS button with a down arrow mark. By clicking it, you can access a bunch of extra options:
- Deletion Date: once set, this will automatically delete the Send.
- Expiration Date: set your Send to automatically expire after a certain time.
- Maximum Access Count: set how many times a Send can be accessed.
- Password: set a password to open a Send.
- Notes: add private notes to your Send.
8. Once everything is set, you can now hit the Save button and share your Send to others using any medium you like, such as text message, email, or note.
Use Bitwarden Send on Desktop App
1. Download the Bitwarden desktop app and login. If you are already using its Desktop app, make sure you update it to the latest version.
2. Click on the Send button at the bottom of the interface.
3. Click on the “+” sign. It will list all the Sends you have created or shared.
4. On the right, you have to fill in information such as name, what type of Send you wish to send, the information you want to send. just like what you have seen for the Bitwarden website.
5. Hit the Send button when you are done with all the information.
Use Bitwarden Send on Mobile
1. Install the Bitwarden application on your smartphone and login.
2. Tap on the Send button at the bottom bar.
3. Tap the “+” sign at the bottom of the interface.
4. Fill in all the details such as name and type of Send. Also, check out the OPTIONS button to set deletion date, expiration date, etc.
5. Simply tap the three-dot icon beside the Save button at the top and select the “Copy Link” or “Share Link” option.
Bitwarden Send is a nice feature to have built inside a password manager. Using this feature, you can send encrypted text or files securely. If you prefer to transfer files using a USB drive, here is how you can encrypt a USB drive in Windows 10.