Say you had to attend to an emergency. Or it was that time your boss yelled your name in that peculiar tone. The tone that meant you’ve goofed big time. The most popular is the pressure to visit the restroom.
Of course, you must leave your PC and attend to other relevant issues every once in a while. But there are risks attached, especially if you don’t turn off the screen.
Someone could access your data and use it for malicious purposes. Or they could ruin an entire day’s work by mistake when going through your computer.
To prevent any of that from happening here are seven ways to turn Windows PC screen off quicker.
1. Use Your Windows Power Management Settings
You can create a custom setting that forces your computer to shut down the screen from this setting. To do this, you will need to do the following:
1. Go to your computer’s Control Panel and search for the terms “change what the power buttons do.”
2. Click on the result and set your PC to sleep each time you press the power button. You can do this by clicking the drop-down menu.
3. As soon as you finish, save your settings.
2. Set Your Power and Sleep Settings
Using the power settings is an efficient way to turn Windows PC screen off quick. It is especially useful when you have to step away from your computer at a moment’s notice. It works by setting the display off after a set period elapses. Here’s how to do this:
1. Go to Windows search and search for “power & sleep settings” (you must use the ampersand sign)
2. Click on the result. It should present a screen that looks like this
3. Now click on the first two drop-down menus and set the screen to go off in two minutes
4. Repeat the same step for the sleep settings too.
That’s all. Next time you step away from your PC, you can be sure it would go to sleep after two minutes.
3. Turn Windows PC Screen Off Using Keyboard Shortcut
Windows has a lot of built-in shortcut for many functions. There is also one that you can use for turning off your PC screen quicker. Follow the steps below to achieve this.
1. Go to your desktop screen/home screen. This is important because the next step only works on home screen.
2. Press the keyboard combination key Alt +F4.
3. Choose “sleep,” and your PC screen will turn off immediately.
4. Using a BAT Script
A BAT script is an executable file for Windows. You can run it from the command prompt tool. You can use the script to turn Windows PC screen off, and it is safe too.
This is how to use the BAT script:
1. Download the BAT file and place it on your desktop.
2. Right-click and select “Run as Administrator.” This will shut your PC screen immediately.
5. Use DisplayOff Tool
The DisplayOff is a free utility program designed to help you switch off your Windows PC screen. It is easy to use and doesn’t have any Graphical User Interface. You run it like you run a BAT file.
How to use DisplayOff tool:
- Download the tool
- Run as administrator
- Your Windows PC screen will go off immediately.
6. Use Dark Tool to Turn Off Windows PC Screen
Dark is a small tool that you can install to help you quickly shut your Windows PC screen. It requires installation. After installation, it places an icon as a shortcut in your Windows taskbar.
1. Download and install Dark Tool.
2. Start the Dark tool. It will create an icon on your taskbar.
3. Click the icon to turn off your screen
7. Use Blacktop Tool to Turn Off Windows PC Screen
The black top tool is like the Windows BAT file, except that it allows you to use a keyboard shortcut to run it instead of clicking on it. The shortcut is Ctrl + Alt + B.
You can download this tool on Softpedia.
Wrapping this Up
Turning off your Windows PC screen should not be a tedious task. The above step should be more than enough to help you achieve that. So when next you need to shut your PC screen fast remember that you have many options.