Google released the smart reply and smart compose options for Gmail, and they are enabled by default. This machine learning tool allows us to quickly send a reply or compose a grammatically sound email. If you do not find the smart reply or smart compose features useful, here is how you can disable them on Gmail.
Turn Off Smart Reply and Smart Compose in Gmail on Desktop
Here are the steps to follow to turn off the smart reply and smart compose features in Gmail on desktop.
1. Open Gmail and log in with your account.
2. Click the cog wheel or Settings icon at the top.
3. From the list that appears, choose the “See all settings” button.
4. Under the “General” tab, scroll down and locate “Smart Compose.” Check the circle in front of “Writing suggestions off.”
5. Scroll down further and locate the “Smart Reply” option and select “Smart Reply off.”
6. Finally, scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and hit the “Save Changes” button.
You will be redirected to your Gmail inbox. You are all set. The next time you reply or compose an email, these smart reply or smart compose features won’t show up anymore.
Turn Off Smart Reply and Smart Compose in Gmail for Android
Turning off smart features on Gmail for Android is fairly simple. Here’s how to do it.
1. Open the Gmail app on your Android smartphone or tablet.
2. Tap the three-line icon (hamburger menu option) on the top left of the interface. Scroll down and select “Settings.”
3. In the new window that opens, tap on the Gmail account you no longer wish to use with the smart reply or smart compose feature.
4. Scroll down and under the General section, locate and uncheck both of the Smart Compose and Smart Reply features.
You can follow the same steps for all of your other Gmail accounts on your Android device.
As you can see, it is easy to turn off (or on) the smart reply and smart compose features in Gmail. You can also turn off conversation view in Gmail, and if your Gmail is not working, we have the fixes.