There are two kinds of people: those who like the keyboard tap sound on a smartphone and those who don’t. If you belong to the latter category, you can easily disable the keyboard sound on Android and iPhone, where it is enabled by default. Let’s examine how to turn off keyboard sound for Gboard, SwiftKey, Samsung, and Apple keyboards.
How to Turn Off the Keyboard Sound on Android
1. Disable Keyboard Sound on Gboard
1. Open the Gboard keyboard settings by following the above method or launching any app where you can use the Gboard keyboard to access the settings quickly. Tap on the Settings icon at the top of the keyboard. Alternatively, open the App drawer on your phone and tap on “Gboard.”
2. Tap on “Preferences” in Gboard settings. Scroll down and turn off the toggle next to “Sound on keypress.” If you want, you can decrease the keypress volume instead of completely disabling it. For that, tap on the “Volume on keypress” option and adjust it to your needs.
On the same screen, you will be able to disable keyboard vibration. For that, turn off the toggle next to “Haptic feedback on keypress.” You can also adjust the vibration strength if you decide to keep it enabled.
2. Disable Keyboard Sound on SwiftKey
1. Open theSwiftKey keyboard settings. You can do it in multiple ways. Firstly, open the SwiftKey keyboard in any app. Tap on the Settings icon on the keyboard. That will take you to the keyboard settings. You can also open the apps list on your phone and tap on “SwiftKey” from there.
2. Inside the SwiftKey settings, tap on “Sound & vibration.” Turn off the toggle next to “Keypress sound volume.” Similar to Gboard, you can increase or decrease the keypress volume using the available slider if you want to keep it enabled.
Interestingly, SwiftKey also lets you change the keyboard sound from the Keypress sound profile. And if you want to disable vibration as well for SwiftKey, disable the toggles next to “Use the Android default vibration” and “Keypress vibration.”
3. Disable Keyboard Sound on Samsung Keyboard
The steps to disable the sound or vibration for a Samsung keyboard are slightly different as you will see below. However, if you are using Gboard or SwiftKey on a Samsung Galaxy device, follow the steps mentioned above.
1. Launch Settings on your Samsung phone.
2. Tap on “Sounds and vibration” followed by “System sound/vibration control.”
3. Turn off the toggle next to “Samsung keyboard” under the Sound section. If you want to disable vibration as well, turn off the toggle under the Vibration section for “Samsung keyboard.”
Tip: if you are a Samsung keyboard user, find out how to change the color of the Samsung keyboard.
How to Turn Off the Keyboard Sound on iPhone
Often, we want to turn off the keyboard sound only for a brief period. Let’s say you are at a place where you don’t want others to hear the keypress sound. In such situations, you can turn off the keyboard sound by using the physical mute button on your phone. It should be on the left edge of your phone. Simply, push it toward the back of your phone to enable Silent mode. That will disable keypress sounds for all keyboards.
As you may have guessed, while this method is helpful for temporary times, it does turn off all the sounds on your phone. You won’t even get a notification or ring sound, so use it wisely.
Disable Apple Keyboard Sound on iPhone
If you don’t like the Apple keyboard keypress sound and want to keep it disabled at all times, you can do so from Settings as shown below.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Go to “Sounds & haptics.” Scroll down and turn off the toggle next to Keyboard clicks. Similarly, check out other useful settings for the iOS keyboard.
Turn Off the Gboard Keyboard Sound on iPhone
Gboard doesn’t offer a dedicated sound setting on iPhone. But if you follow the above method for the Apple keyboard, it should turn off the Gboard key clicks sound as well. However, for many users, including me, doing so doesn’t disable the Gboard sound. So what’s the solution? Simply restart your iPhone after turning off the Keyboard clicks setting and that should do the trick.
In case restarting your phone also doesn’t help, you need to revoke the “Allow full access setting” and grant it again. To do so, open Settings on your iPhone and go to “General -> Keyboard -> Keyboards.” Tap on “Gboard.” Turn off the toggle for “Allow full access.” Wait for a few seconds and enable it again.
Turn Off the SwiftKey Keypress Sound on iPhone
1. Open the SwiftKey app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on Settings. Turn off the toggle for “Key click sounds.” To turn off vibration, disable the toggle for “Key haptic feedback.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I get my keyboard clicks back?
Simply repeat the steps mentioned in the above methods and enable the toggle next to the sound option.
2. Can I change the keyboard sound on iPhone and Android?
You cannot use a different keypress sound on iPhone. However, you can do so on Android using the SwiftKey keyboard.
3. Why is my keyboard so loud?
You might have increased the key clicks sound in the keyboard settings of your Android phone. Navigate to the sound settings for your keyboard as shown above and decrease the volume. On an iPhone, the loudness of the key clicks corresponds with the phone’s volume settings. If you turn down the overall volume via the button on the left side of the phone, the key clicks volume will turn down as well. Likewise, if you turn up the volume via the button on the left side, the key clicks volume will increase.
Try New Keyboards
Now that you know how you can turn off key click sounds on Android and iPhone, find out how to use a physical keyboard with an Android phone. You should also check out the best Gboard alternatives and Android keyboards that help you write better.