The autocorrect feature exists on almost all devices that have a text editor. Whether it is your Android device or your Mac, you do have the autocorrect feature to help you with correcting your spellings.
While the aforementioned feature helps you write notes without any spelling mistakes, it sometimes becomes frustrating, especially when you are working with the words that the standard dictionary is not familiar with. Different regions in the world use different words that may not be a part of the dictionary. And, as you may already know, the autocorrect feature works with the standard dictionary being its base for finding the correct spellings.
If you find the feature to be annoying while you write notes in your regional words, you might want to turn it off for your own good. OS X does have an option to disable the aforesaid feature so that you can work with your writings without the autocorrector’s interferences.
Turning Off Autocorrect on Your Mac
To do this task you do not need a third-party app, as the entire job can be done from the OS settings itself.
1. Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner on your Mac’s screen, and select the option that says “System Preferences…” It will take you to the system settings of your Mac machine.
2. Once you have landed in the system preferences panel, click on the option that says “Keyboard.” That is where the keyboard or the typing-related settings are located for your Mac.
3. Once in the keyboard settings panel, click on the second tab that says “Text.” It contains all the text-related settings that you can adjust according to your needs on your Mac.
4. Here is where the autocorrect option is located. It is not actually labeled as Autocorrect but it is labeled as “Correct spelling automatically.” It should be selected by default. To disable autocorrect on your Mac, simply uncheck this option.
5. The changes should take effect without requiring you to restart your Mac. Just open any editor where you can type text and type anything, and you will notice that autocorrect no longer comes in your way to help you fix your spellings.
So, that’s how you can turn off the autocorrect feature on your Mac. Should you ever wish to get the feature back, simply head to the settings described above and select the option that you unchecked above, and the feature will be turned on for you.
If you often type words that are not part of the standard dictionary but are being spoken and used frequently, you can use the above guide to turn off the autocorrect feature so that it does not fix your words.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox