Is your TV, especially the Prime Video app, talking to you or describing everything that’s happening in the movie that you are watching? That is thanks to the accessibility feature Audio Description. It describes the scenes and tells you what’s happening on screen. If you want your TV to stop telling you such things, you have to get rid of Audio Description. This tutorial shows how to turn off Audio Description for Amazon Prime Video on Android, iPhone, PC, Samsung TV, and Fire TV Stick.
Good to know: Confused about Amazon Prime? Here's everything you need to know.
Turn Off Audio Description for Prime Video on Samsung TV
Follow these steps to get rid of Audio Description in Prime Video on Samsung TVs:
- Launch the Prime Video app on your TV, and play a movie.
- Once the video starts playing, press the navigation up button twice on the TV's remote. You will see options like Subtitles, Audio & Languages, etc. Select "Audio & Languages."
- Press on the currently selected language with the TV remote's "Select" button.
- Select the "English" language, making sure to select the one that doesn’t say "Audio" or "Audio description."
Tip: wondering which is best between Prime Video and Netflix? Read our comparison.
Turn Off Audio Description for Amazon Prime Video App on Fire TV
There are two ways to get rid of Prime Video audio descriptions on Fire TV.
From Prime Video App
- Open the Prime Video app on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
- Play the video or movie with the audio description.
- Press the three-bar button on your Fire TV remote to show the "Options" menu.
- Select "Audio" from the menu.
- Under the "Audio languages" option, you will see "English (Audio Description)." Press the "Select" button on your remote to see the list of available languages.
- Scroll up or down in the list of languages and select "English" instead of the one with the Audio description in brackets. Return to playing the video. Hopefully, you will hear the audio without the audio description.
Tip: learn how to stream Prime Video on Chromecast.
From Fire TV or Fire TV Stick Settings
- Go to the home screen of your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down and select "Accessibility."
- Scroll down again, and select "Audio Description."
- You will see the apps where audio descriptions can be enabled. Look for "Prime Video." If it says "On," press the "Select" button on your remote to turn it off. If it is already off, enable it, then turn it off.
Tip: confused about the differences between Fire TV Sticks? Learn which Fire TV Stick you should buy.
Turn Off Audio Description for Prime Video App on Android and iPhone
- Open the Prime Video app on your phone, and play the video.
- Tap on the screen once to see the available options, then tap on the Subtitles icon at the top.
- Scroll through the list of languages available under the "Audio" section, and select "English," then press "Close."
FYI: having audio issues on your Android? We can show you how to fix it.
Turn Off Audio Description for Prime Video Website on PC
- Open primevideo.com in a browser on your computer.
- Play the movie for which you would like to disable the audio description.
- Hover your mouse over the video, and click on the Subtitles and Audio icon at the top.
- Select "English" under "Audio," instead of "English (Audio Description)."
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do when I can't "Audio description" to turn off?
If you cannot disable "Audio description" as shown above, then first select "English (Audio description)," then switch back to "English." Alternatively, try changing the audio language from English to English (US), English (Canada), or English (UK). Further, once you change the audio language, restart the device.
How do I turn off narration on Amazon Fire TV Stick?
If your Fire TV stick is announcing every menu and action on it, turn off "VoiceView." Open Fire TV Stick settings from the home screen. Go to "Accessibility," followed by "VoiceView." Once it is disabled, you should see "Off" under it. Alternatively, press the Back (return) button and Menu (three-bar) button together to enable or disable Talkback, aka VoiceView.
Do I need to turn off Audio Description on each device?
Yes, you will need to change the language separately on each device with Amazon Prime Video. Are you interested in watching Amazon Prime Video with your friends? We show you how with Amazon Watch Party.
All images and screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox