For a hybrid user who loves macOS and opts for an Android for a mobile experience, there could be a hassle in transferring files cross-platform between these devices. In fact, in many cases, it feels better to stick to a single ecosystem. Interestingly, tech enthusiasts love what they love, so be it an Android device, a Mac or whatever, it should not matter.
Read this article to find options for dealing with file transfers from Android devices to Mac.
Method 1: Using Android File Transfer
This method requires an app download on the Internet. It is called Android File Transfer. This Google app performs the sole task of transferring files from Android to Mac. These easy-to-follow steps help you get this done.
1. Download the Android File Transfer app on your Mac. Once it is downloaded, open AndroidFileTransfer.dmg, or double-click on it and drag “Android file transfer” to Applications.
2. On the Android phone navigate to “Settings -> Connected devices.” Select USB and “Transfer files” when prompted.
3. Use the cable that came with your Android to connect to your PC. On your Mac, open the newly downloaded Android File Transfer app. The app will open, displaying your Android root directory.
4. Open a Finder window. Browse the files and folders on your Android device that you wish to transfer, and drag and drop them to the Finder window.
Method 2: Using Smart Switch
Connect your phone and your Mac using a USB cable. Once this is done, all you need to do is click on the “backup” button. This simply backs up your data from your Android to your Mac.
Method 3: Using Google Services
This would not be my first stop, but it’s a good hack none the less, and the one advantage is that you do not need any cables. The first requirement is a Google email address. Once you are logged on with this Google account on your devices, all you have to do is upload to your drive and download from it.
1. On your Android device, open the drive app, click the “+” button and select “Upload.”
2. Browse to whatever file or document you wish to upload, select it (them) and click “Open.”
3. On your Mac, open your browser and navigate to “drive.google.com.” Log in with your Gmail email. Next, browse to find the file you wish to transfer to your Mac, right-click on it and select download.
There are other ways to transfer files from Android to Mac. The options listed here, however, are free. One could also look into using some premium software, but that just may be an overkill in performing a simple process.