Apple iPhone could be the most popular smart phone nowadays because of its sleek design, brand and unique features. However, it is not a perfect machine. The reason why Apple keeps on updating its version is the mere fact that over time, there are new features which are needed to be added.
Fortunately, iPhone comes with an Internet tethering feature. It converts your device into a modem and shares your Internet connection with your other devices. The bad news is, not all carriers offer tethering option which is a good reason why you should jailbreak your iPhone to be able to share your connection.
I have used two apps which can turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot. To cut the story short, here they are:
Sbingner and Cirdan developed this app which supports jailbroken iPhones only. It has been tested to work efficiently with iPhones running iOS 3.0 to 4.0.1. I was wondering if this app will also work with iOS 4.1, so I tried to search for reviews of TetherMe but I never found a clue. The good thing is, TetherMe is worth $1.99 only so everybody can afford it.
To install TetherMe to your iPhone, you just have to:
1. Launch Cydia and query “TetherMe.”
2. Purchase the App for $1.99 and install.
3. You have to reboot your iPhone after the installation to set TetherMe into effect.
4. Navigate through Settings -> General -> Network and set Internet Tethering to “On” to enjoy its function.
TetherMe works perfectly on iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 jailbroken using Limera1n.
If TetherMe turns your iPhone into a modem, MyWi will turn it into a router allowing other devices to connect to the Internet simultaneously. Since it is also a Cydia app, only jailbroken iPhones would be able to enjoy its features. Moreover, it is stable and has been tested to work perfectly on iPhones running iOS 3.0 and up. Well, the bad news is, it is worth $9.99. It may sound so expensive but the price is just right if you want to turn your place into a WiFi hotspot using your iPhone. You can try out its trial version and see for yourself if it is worth your money. Without further adieu, here are the steps on how to install MyWi.
1. Launch Cydia app and query “Rock App“, then tap on “Install” button.
2. You will be able to find a Rock icon on your Springboard, tap on it to launch.
Note: If you have already installed the Rock App in your iPhone, proceed to the following steps without performing the first to steps. Otherwise, you have to create a new Rock account if it is your first time launching the application. Rock account is free so you don’t have to worry.
3. Once the app is open, you can see MyWi among the options, tap on it to start installation. Click on “Start Trial” if you want to test it out first. However, should you decide to purchase the app directly, click on “Purchase” button. In this case, we will try out the trial version.
4. Installation will take a while to complete. After which you will be prompted to soft-restart your iPhone, just proceed as instructed.
5. Look for MyWi icon and tap on it to launch. You will, then, be prompted with an agreement which you are entitled to accept to be able to use the app.
6. That’s pretty it. You will now be able to enjoy its features. To increase security of your connection, or to avoid others to use it without your knowledge, you can enable WEP security and choose your own WEP key.
7. Switch “WiFi Tethering” On and MyWi will automatically convert your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot.
So far, these are the best apps you can use to share your Internet connection from your iPhone to your other devices. It will not take so much of your time to complete the installation. But you have to remember that these apps work only on jailbroken iPhones; if you haven’t done so, try these tutorials here.
Image credit: Yutaka Tsutano