Screenshots allow us to quickly save important information on mobile or computer screens. Windows provides two options to take a screenshot. The first is via the good old PrtSc (Print Screen) button, and the second is using the Snipping tool. When you take a screenshot with either method, it hides the mouse cursor. Moreover, there is no setting to include the mouse cursor with the screenshot. In this post, we look at a few of the apps that let you take a screenshot with the mouse cursor on Windows.
ShareX is one of the popular options available for taking a screenshot with the mouse cursor on Windows.
Notably, ShareX is also a handy tool, as it comes with a color picker, a ruler, and even a QR Code decoder/encoder. On top of all these features, it can also work as a screen recorder as well.
1. Install ShareX on your PC.
2. Open ShareX. On the left pane, click on the “Task Settings” option.
3. Click on Capture on the left pane. Here, make sure to enable the “Show cursor in screenshots” option.
Now you are all set to take screenshots with the mouse cursor on Windows using the ShareX software. You can take a screenshot by simply hitting the Capture button on the ShareX interface.
Another popular screenshot-taking open-source software is Greenshot. Other than the usual screen capturing, it also has some extra editing features and fits very well with our need to take screenshots with the mouse cursor on Windows.
1. Install Greenshot on your Windows PC.
2. Since the app runs in the background, you need to go to the Taskbar, click on the Greenshot logo, then click on Preferences.
3. In the Settings window, go to the Capture tab and make sure the “Capture mousepointer” option is checked.
That’s it! You are all set to take a screenshot with a mouse pointer with Greenshot. Notably, it overwrites the hotkey combination Ctrl + PrtSc, to quickly take a screenshot.
3. Steps Recorder
Steps Recorder is a built-in software available on Windows. It is a tool which helps you record the steps or movement you perform on your computer. This comes in handy when you are trying to explain something to someone, like explaining your problem to a professional support agent online.
The good thing about the Steps Recorder is that it can also take screenshots of the steps. Here’s how to capture screenshots with this program:
1. Search for “Steps Recorder” in the Start menu.
2. Open Steps Recorder and hit the “Start Record” button. Note that this app takes a screenshot of every “Step” that you can take. When you click on the screen, the mouse cursor will appear.
3. After you are done recording your steps, click on the “Stop Record” button. The software will expand and show you all the steps along with the mouse cursor when clicked.
4. You will notice that the active window appears under the green border.
This screenshot tool is developed by Irfan Skiljan, thus the name IrfanView. It is a good screenshot-taking software that also allows you to edit, convert, and process them right there in the app.
1. Install IrfanView.
2. Open the tool and open the Options menu.
3. Under Options, click on “Capture/Screenshot.”
4. In the newly opened “Capture Setup” window, make sure to check the “Include mouse cursor” option.
In order to take a screenshot with IrfanView, you need to press the default Ctrl + F11 hotkey combination. You can change the hotkeys at your convenience.
If you are looking to take screenshots with the mouse cursor in Windows 10, any of the above tools will serve you well. Follow these steps if you are looking to take scrolling screenshots.