Emacs is an extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time display editor.
Beyond just being able to edit plain text files, Emacs includes special features to help you write in many different human languages and programming/markup languages as well as tools for compiling, running, and testing programs. Emacs integrates with GDB to provide an IDE.
- Content-aware editing modes, including syntax coloring, for many file types.
- Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
- Full Unicode support for nearly all human scripts.
- Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
- An entire ecosystem of functionality beyond text editing, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and more.
- A packaging system for downloading and installing extensions.
|License||Free and Open Source|
|Supported Platforms||Linux, macOS, Windows|
|MTE Reviews||5 Best Linux Text Editors|