While Microsoft has been trying its best to make Windows the most user-friendly operating system, there are still a few things that are beyond the operating system’s control. This is where external tools come into the picture.
In our Software Discovery section we have covered four cool external tools that can change the way things work on your PC and make you more efficient. From changing the wallpaper on your desktop to renaming your files, these tools will help you do many things on your machine.
1. Reddit Wallpaper Changer
Reddit Wallpaper Changer is a lightweight application for Windows that will scrape Reddit for fresh desktop wallpapers.
- Scrapes wallpapers from Reddit
- Specify the subs to scrape wallpapers from
- Specify wallpaper rotation frequency
Helios is a floating browser window that allows you to watch media while you work. Your content will never fall behind your other windows even as you switch tasks.
- Supports a customizable translucency mode
- Does not intercept mouse clicks when it is translucent
- Ability to click, drag, scroll, even flick behind your floating content
Spencer helps you bring back the Classic Windows XP Start Menu to Windows 8. With one click, you have access to all of your Start Menu entries, plus direct access to Control Panel, Administrator command line and Run dialog.
- Get the classic XP start menu on your PC
- Easy installation
- Shortcut key to open the Start menu
4. Inviska Rename
Inviska Rename is a batch file rename tool that allows you to give meaningful names to groups of files. It can be used for renaming music files from tags, replacing photograph names like “DSC04651.JPG” with more useful names like “Spain Holiday – 154.jpg”, renaming photos from Exif tags, and other renaming tasks.
- Insert, remove and replace text in filename or extension
- Rename using music tag information, such as mp3 ID3v2 tags, FLAC tags and other audio tags
- Rename using Exif information from digital photographs
- Rename using file creation or modification date
- Automatically number files for easy ordering
- Change filename to uppercase, lowercase, title case or sentence case
- Filter items to be renamed based on extension, selection, files only or folders only
- Save common renaming settings for frequent tasks
- Undo previous renaming operation to restore original filenames
- Show/hide hidden files to include/exclude them from rename operations
- Navigate through directories in a preview list to locate the files you wish to rename
- Easily see which filenames will be changed with highlighting of modified filenames in the preview pane
- View tags present in file and edit music tags before renaming
- Rename in any language thanks to full Unicode support
Our Software Section is loaded with tons of tools that you can use to make things easier to do on Windows as well as other devices. Check it out and let us know what you think about it. Also, don’t forget to let us know if there’s a software that we have missed to add to the section.