Most know that an Amazon Echo device can play songs without connecting to their phone or PC. However, if the need arises, you can also use your Amazon Echo as a Bluetooth speaker. This tutorial shows two ways to use an Amazon Echo as a Bluetooth speaker for Android, iPhone, Windows, and Mac.
Good to know: when you connect Spotify or Apple Music to an Amazon Echo, you can ask Alexa to stream music from your account.
Connect via the Alexa App
Before using your Amazon Echo as a Bluetooth speaker, it’s necessary to connect and set up your Echo with Wi-Fi. This tutorial assumes you have already done so.
With the Echo fully set up, you have to use the Alexa app on your smartphone to pair your phone or computer to your Echo device.
- Enable Bluetooth on the device that you want to connect to the Echo, and make it visible. Learn later in this tutorial how to enable Bluetooth on various devices.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Tap the "Devices" tab at the bottom, and select "Echo & Alexa."
- Select your Echo device.
- Tap on "Connect a device" under Bluetooth connections.
- Your Echo device will start searching for nearby Bluetooth devices. Once it finds the device you'd like to connect to the Echo, tap on it. You will receive a pairing request from your Echo, and it may take at least a minute for it to show up. Tap on "Pair & connect."
Once connected, your Amazon Echo will act as a Bluetooth speaker for your device. Learn how to play audio from your phone or PC on your Echo later in this tutorial.
Also helpful: want to customize your Echo? Check out the best Echo settings to use it to the fullest.
Connect via Bluetooth Device
If the above method doesn't work, pair your Amazon Echo and your Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as your mobile phone or PC, directly from that device. You will need to put your Echo in pairing mode before connecting it to the Bluetooth-enabled device.
Put Amazon Echo in Pairing Mode
To put your Amazon Echo in pairing mode, say one of the following commands:
- “Alexa, pair.”
- “Alexa, search for Bluetooth devices.”
- “Alexa, Bluetooth on.”
The Echo will start looking for nearby devices. It will also become visible and appear on your mobile or computer’s list of available Bluetooth devices. Follow the instructions below to connect the two.
Tip: wondering what all the lights mean on your Echo device? Learn the meaning of the various Echo lights.
Connect Amazon Echo to Windows PC
Follow these steps to connect your Amazon Echo to a Windows computer that supports Bluetooth:
- Open "Settings" on your Windows PC from the Start Menu or by pressing Windows + X.
- Select "Bluetooth & Devices" on the left side.
- Enable the toggle next to "Bluetooth," and click "Add device."
- Click on "Bluetooth" in the pop-up window.
- Once your PC finds your Echo device in the list of Bluetooth devices, select it.
Note: if the Echo says it’s unable to find a device, wait for a few more seconds. In my experience, the Echo device showed up every time it said it couldn’t find any Bluetooth devices.
Connect Amazon Echo to Mac
Follow these steps to connect your Amazon Echo to your Mac so that you can use your Echo as a Bluetooth speaker:
- Click on the "Apple" icon in the menu bar at the top of your Mac.
- Select "System Settings" from the menu.
- Click on "Bluetooth" in the left sidebar of the Settings window.
- Enable the toggle next to "Bluetooth."
- If your Amazon Echo is in pairing mode, it should appear in the "Nearby Devices" section. Hover your mouse over the Echo device, and click the "Connect" button. The Mac will connect to the Echo.
Tip: if your Echo doesn't connect to your Mac, learn how to fix Bluetooth issues on macOS.
Connect Amazon Echo to Android
These steps will let you connect your Android phone so that you can use your Amazon Echo as a Bluetooth speaker:
- Open "Settings" on your Android phone.
- Go to "Connected devices," and tap "Pair new device."
- Your Android phone will start looking for Bluetooth devices. Tap on the Echo device once it shows up.
Tip: you can also go to "Settings -> Connected devices -> Connection preferences -> Bluetooth." Enable "Use Bluetooth toggle," and tap "Pair new device."
Connect Amazon Echo to Samsung Galaxy Phone
- Open "Settings" on your Samsung Galaxy phone.
- Go to "Connections" followed by "Bluetooth."
- Enable the toggle next to "Bluetooth," and select your Echo device from the available devices section.
Tip: learn how to use Alexa with your Samsung TV.
Connect Amazon Echo to iPhone
If you have an iPhone, these steps will let you use your Amazon Echo as a Bluetooth speaker:
- Open "Settings" on your iPhone.
- Go to "Bluetooth," and enable the toggle next to "Bluetooth" on the right.
- Select your Echo device under the "Other Devices" section.
How to Play Audio via Bluetooth on an Amazon Echo
Once you have successfully paired your Amazon Echo to your Android, iPhone, Windows PC, or Mac, the sound from the connected device will play on the Echo, provided the following conditions are met:
- Bluetooth is enabled on the paired device, i.e., your phone or computer.
- The Echo and paired device are within Bluetooth range.
If multiple Bluetooth devices are paired to the Echo, it will play audio on the last connected device. To switch to a different device, use a voice command like, “Alexa, connect to [device name]."
To check all the Bluetooth devices paired to your Amazon Echo along with their names, open the Alexa app, and go to the "Devices" tab, followed by "Echo & Alexa." Select your Echo device to see the paired devices under Bluetooth connections.
Tip: use the command “Alexa, disconnect” to disconnect from the currently connected device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use an Amazon Echo as a speaker without Bluetooth?
You can use an Amazon Echo as a speaker by connecting it to your PC using a 3.5mm audio cable. However, only some Echo devices support this feature. Put one cable end in your Echo device and the other in the computer. Open the Alexa app on your phone, and go to "Devices -> Echo & Alexa." Tap on your Echo device, then tap on the Settings icon in the top-right corner, and select "Aux Audio" followed by "Line."
Can I use an Echo device as a speaker without Wi-Fi?
You need Wi-Fi at least once to set up your Echo device. If you don’t have Wi-Fi, you can use your phone’s hotspot to set up the Echo. Once it's set up, follow the steps mentioned above to use it as a Bluetooth speaker.
How do I unpair a device from Echo?
Open the Bluetooth settings on your phone or PC. On Windows PC, click on the three-dot icon next to the Echo device. Select "Remove device." On Mac, click on the "(i)" next to the Echo, and press "Forget this device." Similarly, tap on the Settings icon (Android) or "(i)" icon (iPhone), and select "Forget device" or "Unpair."
All images and screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox