Todoist is a popular to-do application that you can use to create shopping lists, set up daily reminders, or even use as the basis for your company’s task management system. But did you know that Todoist integrates with Alexa? By linking Todoist to your Amazon Alexa account, you can add and remove items, create shopping lists and reminders, and check your schedule simply by chatting with Alexa!
Let’s look at how you can manage your schedule and to-do lists by connecting Todoist to Alexa.
Create a Todoist account
To complete this tutorial need a Todoist account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create a Todoist account for free.
Connecting Alexa and Todoist
Once you have an account, you’re ready to introduce Todoist to Amazon’s Alexa:
1. On your smartphone or tablet, launch the Amazon Alexa app.
2. In the upper-left corner, tap the “Menu” icon.
3. Tap “Settings -> Lists.”
4. Find “Todoist” and tap its accompanying “+” icon.
5. Tap “Enable to use.”
6. Todoist will now request permission to access and modify the information in your Alexa lists. If you’re okay with granting these permissions, tap “Save permissions.”
7. You’ll be prompted to enter your Todoist username and password.
8. After a few moments, you should see the following message: “Todoist has been successfully linked.”
Create shopping lists, recurring tasks, to-do lists and more
Now that your Todoist and Alexa accounts are connected, let’s look at some of the ways you can use this integration:
- Add items to your shopping list. For example, say “Alexa, add coffee to my Shopping list,” and Alexa will add coffee to the Alexa Shopping List project in Todoist.
- Add items to your To Do list. Need to book an appointment with your vet? Say “Alexa, add the following event at 9am tomorrow: call the vet,” and Alexa will add this task to your to-do list.
- Mark tasks as completed. Did you just get off the phone with your vet? You can remove this item from your to-do list by saying: “Alexa, mark the task ‘call the vet’ as complete.”
- Add recurring tasks. Some tasks are reoccurring, so why waste time repeatedly adding the same task to your to-do list? For instance, you can create a recurring phone bill by saying, “Alexa, add pay the telephone bill every first to my To-do list,” and Alexa will schedule this task for the first of every month.
- Check your to-do list. You can hear a rundown of your schedule using a command such as: “Alexa, what’s on my To-do list?”
Accessing your Alexa lists from Todoist
Since information is synced between your Todoist and Amazon Alexa accounts, you can also access your Alexa shopping list and Alexa to-do list via your Todoist account:
If you log in to your Todoist account, you’ll see the following new projects:
- Alexa Shopping List. All the items that you add to your shopping list via Alexa will appear in this project.
- Alexa To-do List. All tasks that you add to your to-do list via Alexa will appear in this project.
How to add items to your Alexa shopping list
To add an item to Todoist’s Alexa Shopping List project:
1. Log in to your Todoist account.
2. In the menu on the left, click to expand the “Projects” section.
3. Select “Alexa shopping list.”
4. Click “Add task.”
5. Type the item that you want to add to your shopping list and then click “Add task.”
6. Rinse and repeat for every item you want to add to your shopping list.
Once you’ve added one or more items to your shopping list, you can ask Alexa to read your list using the following command: “Alexa, what’s on my shopping list?”
Alexa will read your list back to you, complete with all the items you’ve just added.
Get organized: how to build a to-do list
You can also add tasks via Todoist:
1. Log in to your Todoist account.
2. In the menu on the left, select “Projects -> Alexa To Do list.”
3. Click “Add Task.”
4. Enter a description for the task you want to create.
5. Assign this task an optional date and time by clicking “Schedule” and then making your selection.
6. When you’re finished entering informaiton, click “Add Task.”
7. Rinse and repeat for every task you want to add to your to-do list.
You can now ask Alexa about your tasks using a command such as: “Alexa, what’s on my To-do list?”
Amazon’s Alexa supports a range of third-party apps and services, like Spotify and Apple Music, Kindle and Audible. What are your favorite integrations to use with Alexa? Let us know in the comments below!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox