Are you looking for a way to sign a PDF on Windows without installing additional software? You can use Microsoft Edge to sign a PDF using its file viewer’s Draw function.
Tip: learn how to remove a password from a PDF in Windows.
How to Sign a PDF in Microsoft Edge
If your computer doesn’t have Adobe Reader or Microsoft Office, you can use Microsoft Edge to sign a PDF. You only need the file to sign and your mouse or trackpad.
Follow this steps below to sign a PDF on Windows using Microsoft Edge.
- Right-click on the PDF you want to sign, hover over “Open with,” and click on “Microsoft Edge.”
Note: If you can’t find Microsoft Edge in the context menu options, click on “Choose another app” and select “Microsoft Edge” from the list.
- On the Microsoft Edge window with the PDF open, click on the arrow to the right of “Draw.”
- Set the color and thickness for your signature.
- Draw your signature on the PDF using your mouse or trackpad.
- If you want to redo your signature, click on “Erase,” then drag-click the eraser icon on your signature.
Tip: want to convert a PDF to a Word document to make it editable? We walk you through the steps to do so.
How to Export a Signed PDF From Microsoft Edge
After signing the PDF, you should export it to have a signed copy of it. Follow these steps to export PDFs from Microsoft Edge:
- Click on either of the floppy disk icons in the toolbar at the top.
- If you clicked on the first floppy disk icon, your unsigned PDF will get overwritten by the signed version. The second floppy disk icon will let you save the version with your signature as a new file.
Tip: if you want to keep your favorite documents easily accessible on your phone, add PDF shortcuts to your home screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I sign a PDF using Microsoft Edge without an internet connection?
Yes. Microsoft Edge can open and export PDFs offline and its Draw function works without an internet connection.
How do I validate a digital signature in Microsoft Edge?
To validate a digital signature in Microsoft Edge, set the “Enable Digital Signature for PDF” setting in edge://flags/ to Enabled. Note that this is an experimental feature and may prove glitchy.
What else can I do with PDFs using Microsoft Edge?
You can rotate, add text, draw, highlight, print, and export PDFs using Microsoft Edge’s file viewer.
Is Microsoft Edge free and available on non-Windows devices?
Microsoft Edge is bundled with Windows operating systems. It can’t be uninstalled, so your Windows computer should have it. You can also install it on macOS, Android, and iOS.
Image credit: Pixabay. All screenshots by Natalie dela Vega.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox