I’m sure you’ve probably had this issue before: you write a tweet and it’s way over 140 characters and you’re wondering how to shorten it. Sure you can abbreviate words and use short hand, but this takes time – extra time that you may not have at the moment.
Instead of racking your brain trying to figure out a legible short hand version of your tweet, why not use a free online tool like Feathr.it? With Feathr.it, you simply enter your tweet, click a button, and get a condensed tweet. Additionally, Feathr.it has a cool feature that lets you choose or add in your own words and symbols.
Here’s how it works.
1. Go to the Feathr.it website and enter your tweet text (via copy and paste or by typing) into the first textbox (on the left hand side).
2. Click on the “Feathr it!” button. Your shortened tweet will appear in the second textbox (on the right hand side).
3. Above the textbox, you can see just how many characters your shortened tweet is; Feathr.it uses synonyms, short hand, and symbols to help shorten your tweet. In some cases it may not be 140 characters or less and you’ll still have to shorten it even more.
4. Once you’re happy with your tweet, you can use the “Tweet” button below the textbox to post the tweet to your Twitter account.
5. One of the cool features of Feathr.it is that you can choose which word, short hand, or symbol to use. Below the textboxes you’ll see each word in your tweet and other words and symbols that can be used as replacements.
6. The words with the blue-green background are the words that have been used in your tweet. To use a different word, just click on it and the word will automatically change in your shortened tweet.
7. You can even add your own word, short hand, or symbol by clicking on the yellow plus sign under each word.
As you can see, shortening your tweets doesn’t have to be nerve-wracking. With Feathr.it it’s actually a bit, dare I say, fun!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox