Did someone ask you to send your location on WhatsApp? Whether you want to share you current location, your current location that continues to update, or a different location altogether, we are here to help. This guide shows you six ways to share your location on WhatsApp from iPhone or Android.
Note: Before you start sharing, make sure you give location access to WhatsApp. On iPhone, go to “iPhone Settings → WhatsApp → Location.” Select “Always.” Similarly, on Android, go to “Settings → Apps → WhatsApp → Permissions.” Allow location access. If location access isn’t granted beforehand, you will be asked to grant permission while sharing the location.
1. How to Share Your Current Location on WhatsApp
WhatsApp offers an easy way to send your current location on the platform. However, the directions for this vary slightly between Android and iPhone. Below, you’ll find each method broken down into steps.
Good to Know: if you need to reference specific chats at a later date, export and back up your WhatsApp chats.
How to Share Your Location on WhatsApp from Android
Follow these steps to share your current location on WhatsApp from an Android phone:
- Launch WhatsApp on your Android phone.
- Go to the chat where you want to share your location.
- Tap on the Attachment icon (the paperclip) at the bottom of the typing box and select “Location” from the menu.
- You will see the options to send a nearby or current location. Press the “Send your current location” button. The location box will appear in the chat.
- Alternatively, tap on the dotted square icon at the top-left corner of the map if you want to send the location with the exact address. This will show a pin at your current location on the map.
- Tap the “Send this location” button at the bottom to send your location with your address.
Tip: you can also send high-quality videos on WhatsApp.
How to Share Your Location on WhatsApp from iPhone
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and open the chat where you want to send the location.
- Tap on the “(+)” icon at the bottom and select “Location” from the menu.
- Tap on the “Send Your Current Location” button to share your location in the chat.
2. How to Share a Different Location on WhatsApp
If you are meeting someone at a specific address or prefer to keep your exact location more private, you also have the option to share a different location on WhatsApp. The directions for this work the same on both Android and iOS. To send a location different from your current location, follow these steps:
- Open the WhatsApp chat where you want to share the location.
- Tap the “Paperclip” icon followed by “Location” on Android ot the (+) icon followed by “Location” on iPhone.
- Tap on the search icon or the search bar at the top of the location screen and type the name of the location that you want to find and send. Then tap the location name from the options at the bottom.
- On Android, you can also manually drop a pin on the location by tapping on the “dotted square” icon to open the map in full-screen mode.
- Drag the map, and the pin will move automatically. Leave it in the desired position, then tap on “Send this location.”
Pro Tip: to share an outstation or faraway location, you must manually move the map and drop the pin on the location.
3. How to Share a Live Location on WhatsApp
The first method will share your static location with others. If you move from that place, your new location will not be reflected in the chat. If you want someone to track your location in real time, you can share your live location with them on WhatsApp.
Live location can track your estimated arrival time (ETA). It’s also a handy safety feature, as you can share it while traveling with your friends or family members to help them know your whereabouts.
You can share a live location on both Android and iPhone devices. Make sure to change the location permission to “Always” when sharing a live location. Follow these steps to share live location on WhatsApp on Android and iPhone:
- Open a WhatsApp chat on your phone.
- On Android, tap on the “Paperclip” icon followed by “Location.” On iPhone, tap on the “(+)” icon followed by “Location.”
- Tap on “Share live location.”
- Select the duration you want to share your live location. By default, 1 hour is selected. You can also choose 15 minutes or 8 hours. You can even add a comment explaining why you are sharing your live location. Finally, tap on the “Send” button.
4. How to Share Your Location on Your WhatsApp Status
To share your location on your WhatsApp status, you need to use the location sticker, then follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp on your Android or iPhone.
- Go to the “Status” tab and tap on the floating “Camera” icon on the Android.
Similarly, on iPhone, tap on the “Status” tab and press the “Camera” icon next to “My Status.”
- Capture a new photo or select an existing one that you want to put on your WhatsApp status.
- Tap on the “Emoji” icon at the top and select “Location.”
- Tap “Select your current location” to add your location to the WhatsApp status or use the search icon at the top to find a different location. Tap on it to add it to your status.
- Once the sticker shows up, tap on it to change its color or move it around by dragging it. Hit the “Send” button to publish the status with your location.
Tip: learn how to save a friend’s WhatsApp status on Android.
5. How to Share Location on WhatsApp from Google Maps
If you enjoy the Google Maps interface rather than WhatsApp, you can share locations from Google Maps in any WhatsApp chat. Follow these steps to share your location from Google Maps on WhatsApp on Android and iPhone:
- Open the Google Maps app on your Android or iPhone.
- You will see a blue circle at your current location. Touch and hold your current location or any other location you want to send.
- A screen will show up from the bottom where you will see options like
“Directions,” “Start,” “Call,” etc. Swipe left on these options and tap on “Share.”
- Select “WhatsApp” from the share screen.
- Tap on the chat in WhatsApp where you want to send your location.
Tip: if needed, you can also visualize your Google location history.
6. How to Share Live Locations on WhatsApp from Google Maps (Android, iPhone)
Just like your current location, you can even share your live location from Google Maps on WhatsApp, as shown below:
- Open Google Maps on your mobile.
- Tap on your current location, shown by a blue circle, instead of holding it.
- Press the “Share location” button.
- Set the time that you want to share your location. By default, 1 hour is selected. You can increase or decrease it using the + and – icons.
- Choose “WhatsApp” from the list of apps and select the contact you want to send your live location to.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I stop sharing my live location on WhatsApp?
To stop sharing your live location, open the chat where you shared your location and tap on “Stop sharing” on the live location message. If you have shared your live location in multiple chats, you can stop sharing with all of them at once by going to “WhatsApp Settings → Privacy → Live location,” then tapping on “Stop sharing.”
Can I share live location updates on my WhatsApp status?
You cannot share your live location on a WhatsApp status. Instead, you would need to share a live location in a chat with the person or people you wish to share it with.
Can I share my location on WhatsApp on the Web?
WhatsApp doesn’t offer a native feature to share your location from a computer. However, you can open Google Maps on your PC and share the link of your location on WhatsApp on your PC.
All images and screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox