Looking for better sound from your TV? There is a relatively inexpensive way to do that, and you could already have what you need in your home. Use your Amazon Echo device to create an Alexa Home Theater system.
You can now link your Amazon Echo speaker to your Fire TV to create a home theater system for an even better audio experience. You can get improved stereo sound without spending money on a fancy soundbar or other more expensive speakers. You can only connect two speakers plus an optional Echo Sub.
Benefits of Linking Echo and Fire TV
The latest Amazon Echo and Echo Dot Plus devices allow you to stream Dolby audio wirelessly. If you choose to purchase an Echo Studio, you will be able to stream Dolby Atmos sound. Dolby Atmos gives you a more immersive experience, creating sounds in different areas of your room to match where it would be if you were actually in the action on the screen.
First, you need an Amazon Echo device. They sell for about $100. If you have one already, check this list to make sure it’s compatible. If you want to use two speakers, they should be from the same generation.
Echo devices that can be connected:
- Echo Dot (3rd Generation)
- Echo (2nd Generation)
- Echo (3rd Generation)
- Echo Plus (2nd Generation)
- Echo Plus (1st Generation)
- Echo Dot with clock
- Echo Studio
You also need a recent Fire Stick, such as the Fire TV Stick 4K (about $25) or Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen.
Fire TV devices that can be connected:
- Fire TV Stick 4K
- Fire TV (3rd Generation)
- Fire TV Cube (1st Generation) – available in the US only
- Fire TV Cube (2nd Generation)
How to Pair the Echo with Fire TV
There are several different configurations you can choose from when you pair your Echo speaker with the Fire Stick.
- 1.0 (one Echo device working as an external speaker)
- 1.1 (one Echo device functioning as an external speaker with an added Echo Sub)
- 2.0 (two Echo devices working as external speakers, one as left audio and one as right audio)
- 2.1 (two Echo devices working as external speakers, one as left audio and one as right audio, and one Echo Sub)
To connect the devices:
1. Open the Amazon Alexa app.
2. Tap on Devices in the bottom-right corner.
3. Hit the Plus icon in the top-right corner.
4. Select “Set up audio system” at the bottom of the screen.
5. Select Home Theater when the app asks which audio system you would like to set up.
6. Tap the Fire TV device you would like to set up.
7. Choose up to two compatible Echo speakers. You can also select an Echo Sub if you’d like more bass.
8. If you are doing a stereo setup, choose which device is for the right and which is for the left.
9. Give your new home theater system a name and assign it to a room in your home.
10. Follow the directions on your TV to complete the pairing.
Once you pair the devices, you will get richer, fuller sound from your Fire TV device as well as the ability to control your Fire Stick with your voice.
Some of the other options you can enjoy after pairing your Amazon devices include using the television audio and volume control using your Fire TV remote when gaming. Lip Sync Tuning is also available if you notice time discrepancies between the sound what is occurring on the screen.
Setting up a home theater system using an Echo and a Fire TV is a simple process that will give you better viewing experiences.
Image credit: Amazon Echo series