Are you in love with Bing’s front page backgrounds? Each day, Bing features a beautiful high-quality image on their homepage. Not only that, but they also provide fun facts to go along with the image. Best of all if you’ve missed a day or just want to reminisce, you can view their image archive to see what has been used in the past.
Since many people often visit Bing just to see what the background of the day is, why not bring those images to the desktop? Luckily, there’s an easy Windows option for using the daily Bing background as your desktop wallpaper: Bing Desktop.
Bing Desktop is a free program that you can download, and with a few clicks, it will change your desktop wallpaper to Bing’s homepage image. Let’s take a look at how easy it is to set up and use.
Bing Desktop on Windows
1. Download and install Bing Desktop on your Windows PC. Bing Desktop supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and Windows Server 2008 and 2012 for English, French, German, Chinese, and Japanese.
2. Once Bing Desktop is installed, you should see the following window. You can choose the options that you want to use and then click the “Finish” button. I’m sure you’ll probably want to uncheck the second and third options.
3. It might not be immediate to get the Bing background as your desktop wallpaper. It took about a minute for me to show up.
4. You should also see the Bing search bar pop up on your screen. This is great for those that use Bing as their default search engine, since it gives you access to Bing search around-the-clock.
5. From the Bing search bar you can access important settings and options from the gear icon. For instance, you may not want to launch Bing Desktop when your computer starts. It’s enabled by default, but you can disable it here.
6. The downside to using Bing Desktop? It doesn’t support multiple monitors since there’s only one image of the day. Meaning, you’ll see the same background image on all of your monitors.
If you’re not happy with Bing Desktop, there’s another option for getting Bing backgrounds on your Windows desktop, even though it will not show you any of the new backgrounds. You may want to use one of the high-quality Bing themes for Windows 7 and 8, available from Microsoft. Most of these themes include 15-20 images. From the Best of Bing: Austrailia to the Best of Bing: Japan, you’re sure to find something that you’d like.
Are you using Bing Backgrounds or a Bing Windows theme on your desktop?