Discord serves as a home for various types of communities. Every gamer loves the beautiful interface of this app. It’s a safe place for chatting with friends, sharing thoughts and ideas, or even sending videos. Whether you want to share a compilation of your best gameplays, a funny clip, or a walkthrough highlight video, this article shows you how to send videos on Discord both on mobile (Android and iOS) and desktop.
What You Need to Know Before Sending Videos on Discord
Uploading videos on Discord is pretty simple. However, you must consider the following parameters before sending a video file over Discord:
- Discord users can upload 8 MB or below video files via direct message or chat channel.
- For larger files, subscribing to Discord Nitro will allow a video upload of up to 50 MB.
- Discord only supports the following video file types: .mp4, .mov, .gif, and .webm.
Tip: use a video resizer tool such as VideoSmaller if the file is just a few KB or MB above the 8 MB limit.
How to Send Videos on Discord in Windows
Sending videos on Discord via the desktop is pretty simple, provided that the file sizes aren’t too large. There are also several methods to send videos on Discord, depending on who you want to share them with or where you want to share them.
Send Videos on a Discord Server
If you want to send a video via a Discord server where many users can see it, follow the below steps:
- Launch Discord on your desktop.
- Select the text channel where you want to share the video.
- Click the “+” (plus) icon one the Discord Messaging Bar, to the left of the text box.
- Click “Upload a File” to open the file browser.
Tip: you can also double-click the “+” (plus) icon to open the file browser.
- Navigate through your folders, select the video you want to send, and click “Open.” Comments may be added before uploading the video.
- (Optional) If you wish to modify your video attachment, click the pencil icon on the top-right side of the video thumbnail.
- A small window will pop up and give you the option to edit the video’s filename. You can also check the “Mark as spoiler” box if you want to show a preview of the video. Then, click “Save.”
- Press “Enter” to begin uploading the video to the chat channel.
And that’s it! Once uploaded, your friends can watch the video you shared. They can also download it by clicking the arrow button on the top-right side of the video.
Send Videos to a Discord User (Desktop)
If you want to send a private video to a particular Discord user, you’ll need to send them a Direct Message or DM. Follow the steps below:
- To send a private video to a Discord user who’s a member of a particular server you’re in, open Discord and click the icon on the top-right corner of the screen (depicted by two overlapping people). This will show you the list of all users on the server.
- Find the user in the Member List, right-click their user icon and click “Message.” This will take you to the DM screen.
- To send a video to a user who’s already on your Discord friend list, open Discord and click the Discord game controller icon located at the top left of the screen. This will show you a list of all your friends on Discord.
- Tap on the user to automatically be taken to the DM screen.
At this point, the process is almost identical to the steps mentioned above (sending videos in a server).
- Double-click the “+” (plus) icon on the bottom-left side of the chat bar to open the file browser.
- Choose the video you want to send and click “Open.”
- Press “Enter” to send the video.
How to Send Videos on Discord in Android
Sending videos on Discord using Android devices is similar to sending through a PC. There are two options: sending a direct message to a user and uploading to a channel for the member’s visibility. Follow the steps below:
Send Videos on a Discord Server (Android)
- Launch the Discord app on your Android device.
- Enter the text channel where you’d like to share the video.
- Tap the image icon on the left side of the text box to open your gallery.
- Select the video you want to send from your phone, then tap the “Send” button on the lower-right side of the app (the blue circle icon with an airplane in the center).
Wait a few seconds for the video to upload, and that’s it! All users in the text channel can now watch your video.
Tip: all users on the Discord server (including you) can download the videos sent in the text channels as well. Just tap the download button (in a shape of an arrow) on the top-right side of the video, wait for the download to finish, and you’re good to go.
Send Videos to a Discord User (Android)
To send a video to a specific Discord user via DM, follow the below instructions:
- Open Discord on your Android device.
- If you’d like to send a private video to a Discord friend, tap the “Friends” icon (person waving) at the bottom left of the app. This will show your Discord friends list.
- Tap the “Message” icon (balloon) next to your friend’s username and the call button to take you directly to the DM screen.
- Tap the image icon on the Discord messaging bar (bottom left). This will open your gallery.
- Select the video and tap the Send icon. The video upload only takes a few seconds. Your Discord friend can now enjoy the video you shared.
- If you want to send a video to a particular user on a Discord server (who is not on your friends list), enter the server and tap the “Member list” icon (looks like two overlapping people) on the top left. This will show you a list of all users on the server.
- Once you find the user in the member list, tap their user icon, then tap “Message.” This will automatically take you to the Direct Message screen.
- Tap the image icon located on the left side of the chat bar to open your phone’s gallery.
- Select the video you want to send from your phone. Tap the Send icon, and you’re done!
How to Send Videos on Discord on iOS
The process of sending videos on Discord when using iOS is somewhat similar to that of Android but with some minor tweaks. Follow the steps listed below:
Send Videos on a Discord Server (iPhone)
- Launch the Discord app on your Apple device.
- Tap the text channel you want to send the video to.
- Tap the “+” (plus) icon at the bottom left of the screen. This will automatically show the list of photos and videos on your iPhone.
- Select the video you want to share. Tap the Send button on the lower right of the app (the blue circle icon with an airplane in the center).
Once the upload is finished, all Discord users in the channel will be able to enjoy your video.
Send Videos to a Discord User (iPhone)
- Open Discord on your iOS device.
- Choose where you want to send the video. If you’d like to send it to a Discord friend, tap “Friends” (person waving icon) at the bottom left of the screen to show your Discord friends list.
- Tap your friend’s “Message” icon to be taken to the DM screen.
- Tap the “+” at the bottom left of the app to show the list of photos and videos on your phone.
- Select the video you want to send from your gallery, then tap the Send icon (the blue circle icon with an airplane in the center).
How to Send Video Files Larger than 8 MB on Discord
The free version of the Discord app has a file size limit of 8 MB. To send larger video files, try the following methods:
Method 1: Update Discord Nitro
Subscribing to Discord Nitro is the simplest – but not cheapest – option. The paid version allows an increased upload size of up to 50 MB. This will cost around $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
Method 2: Compress Videos
Compressing the video size by reducing the resolution, converting the format, or lowering the bitrate allows you to keep the entire video. However, this may cause issues that can affect the quality and resolution.
Method 3: Share Upload Link
The use of a cloud service such as Google Drive is an efficient way to upload and send large videos. Simply upload the video, copy the link, and share it on Discord. Follow these steps:
- Sign in to Google Drive.
- Click “New” (with the plus icon) at the top left of the page.
- Select “File Upload.”
- Double-click the video you want to upload and wait for it to finish.
- Right-click the uploaded video and select the “Get link” option.
- Change the privacy settings from “Restricted” to “Anyone with the link.”
- Copy and paste the link in Discord, either as a direct message or in a server channel.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What video formats can be uploaded to Discord?
Any video file type can be sent, downloaded, and watched on a Discord user’s device. However, limit the file to .mp4 and .webm to allow Discord to embed it and make it playable within the chat.
Also, videos with .mov format can be used, but not all users will be able to play them. FLAC files are supported only on desktop and not on mobile.
2. How do I upload saved videos to Discord?
Use the download icon to save a video file locally. This allows you to share videos on a different server or private message.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox