The Apple Watch doesn’t only tell the time and help you avoid being late; it also allows you to make calls and send texts, listen to music, download apps, track your activity levels, measure your heart rate and much more. Apple also periodically releases new features for users. All of these things and others make the Apple Watch perpetually in demand.
However, some people decide it’s time to part with their Apple Watch. Maybe you’re among them and want to sell an older version to get money for the newest model – currently Series 5. Or perhaps something happened to make you short on cash this month, and you think selling your Apple Watch would relieve some stress associated with that situation. Fortunately, selling is a straightforward process.
1. Research the Ways to Sell It
Potential sellers have plenty of ways to get money for an Apple Watch.
- Product selling groups on social media or messaging platforms
- Electronics ecommerce stores that accept used items
- Craigslist and similar classified ad sites
- Online auctions, such as eBay
- An in-person sale or trade-in at a local electronics store
- Placing an ad on a bulletin board, in a university newspaper, etc.
- Asking friends if they’re interested in buying an Apple Watch
As you learn the approximate prices you could get for this Apple product, remember scratches, cracks or anything that limits the gadget’s functionality will reduce its value.
2. Get the Device in Sale-Ready Condition
If you have an iPhone connected to the Apple Watch, unpair the two devices.
1. Put your iPhone near the Apple Watch and turn on both gadgets.
2. Tap the Watch icon on the iPhone’s home screen.
3. Tap your gadget’s name and icon on the My Watch screen that appears.
4. Next, choose the information symbol to the right of the watch’s name.
5. Tap the “Unpair Apple Watch” button and confirm your choice on the pop-up box.
Having an iPhone paired with an Apple Watch makes the iPhone automatically erase and back up the data when you unpair the devices. However, if you don’t have a paired iPhone, follow these steps to erase the Apple Watch:
1. Tap Settings on your Apple Watch.
2. Select General -> Reset.
3. Choose “Erase All Content and Settings.” Confirm the decision by entering your password.
It’s not possible to back up an Apple Watch without an accompanying paired iPhone. When you back up an iPhone, the Apple Watch data gets included in that process.
1. Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi.
2. Go to “Settings -> Tap [your name] -> iCloud.”
3. Slide the iCloud Backup toggle switch to the right or select “Back Up Now.”
When you have iCloud Backup enabled, backups happen daily, provided you have enough space and keep your iPhone connected to the Internet.
1. Connect your iPhone to a computer.
2. Open iTunes (or Finder on macOS Catalina).
3. Enter your password or choose “Trust this Device” if prompted.
4. Locate your iPhone in the iTunes/Finder sidebar and select it.
5. Choose the “Back Up Now” button on the following screen.
After unpairing the iPhone and Apple Watch, deleting the Apple Watch’s data and backing up the information through your iPhone, the gadget is ready for its new owner.
3. Follow the Procedures for a Successful Transaction
The steps for the final part of the sale vary according to the sale method. A seller may need to request a shipping label, pack the device in a certain way, arrange for an in-person pickup or meet minimum standards if taking the device for a trade-in. Failing to complete all the steps properly could result in the proposed sale being deemed ineligible.
If any uncertainties arise as you verify what to do to make the transaction happen, it’s best to ask questions. Making assumptions that are ultimately wrong could frustrate the seller and cause them to lose trust in you. When using an online method to sell your Apple Watch, consider sending the item through a service that allows tracking.
Avoid Issues by Showing Patience
You should think carefully before selling an Apple Watch. Weighing the pros and cons of selling helps you avoid making a decision you’ll regret later. Getting the Apple Watch ready for sale is not difficult, as long as you are patient enough to do it correctly by following the steps outlined here.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox