With all of the publicity today concerning the misuse of personal data, more people than ever are paying closer attention to privacy settings while surfing the Internet. Most mobile browsers come with an option to browse secretly, so you don’t have to worry about being tracked. Samsung Internet browser (the default browser app) for Android phones goes a step further by adding a password option to their private mode.
Not only is there a password protection option, but this browser also has a built-in ad-blocker and the ability to use up to five different content blockers.
Samsung Internet secret mode is different than those of other mobile browsers because it gives you the ability to save bookmarks and web pages. Another nice feature is the color change that happens when you switch to secret mode. The address bar and the navigation bar turn grey. The new color works as a visual reminder letting you know if you are in secret mode or not. The ability to take screenshots is also disabled in this mode.
The popularity of the Samsung Internet browser has caused the company to make the app available to everyone with an Android smartphone. You can download it here from Google Play.
How to add password protection
1. Download Samsung Internet browser from the Play Store if it is not already on your phone. If you already have the app, you might need to update it to enable the password protection in private mode.
2. Open Samsung Internet and tap on the three dots in the top-right corner of the screen.
3. Select Settings.
4. Tap on Privacy.
5. Click on Secret Mode Security.
6. Tap the toggle switch to turn on password protection.
7. Type in your password. It must have at least four characters and at least one letter. However, four characters are not enough for a secure password, so you should consider making it more secure by adding more characters.
8. If you have a Samsung phone, you also can use fingerprints and an iris scan to secure it. If you want to use biometrics, select the option now. Older phones may not have the iris scan capability but should have the fingerprint option.
How to browse in secret mode
1. Tap the tabs button in the bottom-right corner of the screen. It is a transparent grey circle with three vertical dots. You may need to scroll down a bit which will cause it to appear.
2. Next, tap on “Enable Secret Mode.”
3. If you don’t have “Enable Secret Mode” as an option, tap the Settings gear at the bottom of the screen and press the toggle switch next to the choice.
4. You can’t have more than four options on the quick menu, so you’ll need to eliminate one of them before adding secret mode.
5. With the password enabled, you will be prompted to enter your password. If you set up biometrics, you can use your fingerprint. If you don’t already have your fingerprint stored in your phone, go to settings and do it there.
6. You can now use the Internet without wondering if anyone is tracking your movement, and it will also be impossible for anyone who physically picks up your phone to see what you were doing.
If you set down your phone and it turns off, you will have to enter your password or use your fingerprint again to enter secret mode.
How to reset your password
If you lose your password, you can reset it, but it will cause you to lose all of your private settings and bookmarks. Make sure you keep your password somewhere accessible, or keep it in a password keeper if you are concerned about losing this information.
1. Go back to the secret mode security page.
2. Tap “Reset Secret Mode.”
3. Confirm. Now the password will be disabled, and you can browse in secret. Repeat the steps above if you want to enable the password again.
If you are concerned about someone tracking your Internet movements, consider trying the secret mode on Samsung Internet browser. While nothing is perfect, it may give you an extra layer of protection.