Ever since Safari for iOS was released on the original iPhone back in 2007, it featured a nice little option that let you add an icon as a bookmark for a website on the home screen. The bookmark icon looks very similar to an app icon. Whenever a user touches the icon, Safari launches and navigates to the website.
This feature is available for Safari on both iPhones and iPads, and while it’s nothing game-changing, it offers quick access to your favorite websites, directly from your iOS device’s home screen.
Simply follow the instructions below to add a website bookmark to your home screen. As mentioned before, this should work on all iOS devices, but the screenshots below have been taken on an iPhone:
1. Open up Safari from the Home Screen. In Safari, open up the website you wish to store as a bookmark on your home screen:
2. Click on the “Action” button as shown below:
3. In the opening pop-up menu select the “Add To Home Screen” option.
4. Change the bookmark name so that it suits you. Once you’re done, click the “Add” button.
5. Your iOS device will now return to the home screen, and you’ll see your website bookmark’s icon next to your apps:
You’ll notice that different sites will have different icons. If the site you bookmarked offers an iPhone/iPad icon, that icon will be shown, otherwise a miniature screenshot of the site will be shown on your home screen.
Now, you can easily save your favorite websites as home screen bookmarks, hence allowing you to quickly and efficiently access them, without wasting valuable time.
To delete the icon, you can simply touch and hold the icon and then press the little “x” button next to the bookmark, much like you would delete any normal iOS app.
Did this work for you? Be sure to tell us in the comments below.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox