Apple’s Messages app is the primary method of sending and receiving messages on an iOS device. It also houses iMessage, which is Apple’s exclusive message service between Apple devices. This allows you to send messages and other items from any iPhone/iPad/Mac to another.
Most people believes iMessage can only be used to send/receive messages. However, it also allows you to send and receive all types of files and attachments, like photos, links, documents, audio messages and more.
In this guide we show you how to save files or attachments received through iMessage to the Files app for easy access.
How to Save Files in iMessage
1. Open the Messages app on your iOS device.
2. Open the conversation that contains the attachment you want to save.
3. Tap on the contact bubble on the top of the screen, then on the Info bubble that appears.
4. Scroll down to the attachment section. Here you’ll find all the files that have been shared in the conversation thread. These are subdivided into different file types, such as Photos, Documents, etc. Tap “See All” if necessary to find the file you want to save.
5. Tap on the Share icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
6. Scroll down to the Actions menu and select “Save to Files.”
In the ensuing menu, you can choose to save the file to a folder on your iPhone or directly to iCloud for easy syncing amongst your devices.
7. Once you’ve selected the location, tap on Save in the top-right corner of the screen to save the file.
That’s all. Your file should now be saved in your chosen location. If you want to access it later on, simply open up the Files app on your device and navigate to the location and open it. This is much easier than browsing the message thread to find the file you want to view.
The Actions menu also includes other options you may want to try out. For example, you may choose to save a photo to a specific album instead of the Files app. You can also choose to directly save it your iCloud Photos.
Need to change the file extension of a file you downloaded? We’ll show you how.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox