If you use a PC with Windows 8.1 or 10, an Xbox One console, a Microsoft Surface tablet or a Windows Phone, then you must be conversant with OneDrive. This service is available for free to all Microsoft users with an account. It offers a seamless way of hosting your files in the cloud, especially from a Microsoft device.
In Windows 10 the OneDrive icon will usually be displayed on the left side of the taskbar. This icon is the gateway to the rich features that the OneDrive service holds. Unfortunately, there are a few times this icon disappears from the taskbar, leaving a user with limited options for accessing OneDrive.
These are the steps to take if the OneDrive icon goes missing from your taskbar.
Enable Icon in System Tray
The following method will work for any icon missing on your taskbar.
1. Right click on your taskbar and select the “Taskbar settings” option.
2. In the taskbar settings window scroll down to the “notifications area.” Select the “select which icon appears on taskbar” option.
3. Check the toggle switch beside the Microsoft OneDrive. If it is off, make sure to change it to on.
Unhide the OneDrive Icon
The problem could often be just a hidden OneDrive icon. This is common in Windows 10, especially when there are too many icons on the taskbar. To check if this is the case with the OneDrive icon on your system, click on the show hidden icons icon on the taskbar. This is the upward arrow-like icon to the left of the taskbar. Doing this reveals all hidden icons. If your OneDrive was hidden, it will be displayed in the small popup. In my case, as indicated in the image below, OneDrive is not hidden.
If none of the above solutions worked for you, this is a third step to try. Resetting OneDrive will fix the issue if it is caused by a broken OneDrive cache. Follow these steps to reset your OneDrive.
1. Press Win + R to open the Run window. Copy and paste the text below and click OK.
2. Wait for about two minutes to see if the OneDrive icon appears. If it does not, repeat the process using the path below this time.
This fix should display the OneDrive icon again.
Check Policy Settings
If resetting did not work, one last step is to check the policy settings. It could sometimes be a problem caused by third-party applications or anti-tracking programs. These often have the effect of making modifications to the OS and may disable the OneDrive icon. Checking your policy settings becomes necessary if this is the case.
To check the Windows 10 Group Policy Editor and find and resolve any modifications caused by third-party programs on OneDrive, follow these steps.
gpedit.msc in your Run window.
2. Navigate to “Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components.” Double-click on the OneDrive option in the right pane.
3. Right-click “Prevent the Usage of OneDrive for File Storage” and then click Edit.
4. Make sure either “Not Configured” or “Disabled” is chosen for the policy setting. Click Apply and OK.
5. Restart your PC, and the issue should be resolved.
While the missing OneDrive icon could be a frustration to many, it can be resolved easily with any of the methods above. Walk your way down the fixes and one of them should get it done for you.