Stumbled upon a cool video on TikTok and want to share it with your friends on the app? Previously, you could only share the video with your followers via direct messages, but recently TikTok has added the ability to repost clips directly to your friends’ feeds. This article shows you how to get started using this feature.
Tip: curious how popular you are on TikTok? Here’s how to check how many views you’ve accumulated.
What Does the TikTok Repost Feature Do?
TikTok’s repost feature is quite similar to Twitter’s Retweet function. Their scope is similar, allowing you to share your favorite content from the app with your followers.
There’s a significant difference, though – for some users, at least. Reposted TikTok videos won’t show up on your profile. Instead, they are sent directly to your followers’ “For You” feeds. However, if you’re part of TikTok’s Creator Fund, you might see a “Repost” section on your profile, depending on the region where you’re located.
TikTok introduced this feature to allow users to reshare their favorite videos without downloading and re-uploading them. What’s more, reposting allows TikTokers to share other people’s content without worrying about the possibility of infringement.
How to Repost on TikTok
Before attempting to repost something on the TikTok app, make sure you update the app to the latest version. Below, we cover the two ways to repost on TikTok.
Note: you can’t repost TikTok videos from your PC.
- Open the TikTok app and navigate to a video you’d like to repost.
- Tap the “Share” button in the menu on the lower-right side of the screen.
- A menu window will pop up from the bottom. Select “Repost.”
- If it’s your first time doing it, you’ll see additional information regarding this feature. Press the “Repost” button at the bottom to continue the process.
- A quick notification will pop up at the bottom, alerting you that the video has been reposted.
- You can add a comment to the video if you want. Look again at the bottom and press on “Add a comment.”
- A text box will show up. You can tag your followers by pressing the “@” button. This ensures that they will see the repost.
Good to know: did you know that you can also make Stories on TikTok? Get started now.
If you’ve pressed on a video’s comment button instead, then realized you wanted to repost it, you can do so directly from the comments.
- Tap on the text box at the bottom and start writing your comment.
- Tick the “Repost” option underneath. The video will be reposted.
Note: once you enable the “Repost” option in the comments, it will remain active. If you don’t want to repost the next video you comment on, remember to uncheck it.
How to Undo Repost on TikTok
Changed your mind about reposting a certain video, or did you do it by accident? Not a problem, you can easily undo your mistake. Here’s how.
- Assuming you haven’t swiped to another video and are still looking at the clip you’ve reposted, tap the “Share” button again.
- When the pop-up at the bottom shows up, press “Remove post.”
- You’ll see a notification at the top that says, “Your repost has been removed.”
Good to know: you can make TikTok safer for children and young adults by activating parental controls.
How to See Your Reposts on TikTok
As we noted above, viewing your reposts on your profile is not widely available just yet. If you’re not seeing a dedicated section on your profile, here’s a workaround to help you find your reposts.
- From the TikTok feed, tap the “Profile” button at the bottom.
- On your profile page, press on the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner.
- Select “Settings and privacy.”
- Find and tap on “Watch history.” You should be able to find this feature in the “Content & Display” section. If you want to learn more details about Watch history, we have a dedicated post on the topic.
- Swipe through your watch history and try to recall which videos you’ve reposted. Having access to this information should refresh your memory.
- To verify whether you’ve reposted a video, tap on it, then go to the “Comments” section.
- The information should be available at the top if you’ve reposted it. You’re also going to be able to see if any of your friends have reposted the same video.
- If you can’t see anything, try accessing the creator’s profile. Find the video in question and check the comments from there.
- If you’ve reposted via comments, you should be able to see your comment at the top, accompanied by a small repost icon indicating that you’ve shared the post with your followers.
- Right now, the repost feature appears to be somewhat buggy. In our testing, a video’s “Repost” status was revoked at random. In our testing, after reposting a video, we could confirm that a “Reposted this video” mention was visible two hours later in the comments. However, the next day, the mention was gone, and the “Repost” button was once again available, as if nothing had happened. This erratic behavior might indicate that TikTok is still ironing out details regarding the option.
FIY: when one of your TikTok friends reposts a video you’ve also reposted, you’ll get a notification and message on the app.
What Do Reposts Look Like on TikTok?
Wondering how you’ll know you’ve stumbled upon a repost? There are a few telltale signs.
Videos that have been reposted recently by one of your friends might have a morphed “Share” button. It will look like the reposter’s profile picture (in miniature) with an arrow plastered on top.
At the same time, the “Repost” button might be visible on the left, or a mention that a certain follower has reposted the video might become visible in its stead (if you keep the video open long enough).
Tip: unlike TikTok, Instagram doesn’t allow you to natively download videos off its platforms. Here’s how you can download Instagram Reels.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I repost TikTok videos on other apps?
Yes. However, keep in mind that the clips will feature a floating TikTok watermark. If that’s not a problem for you, you can share a TikTok video by pressing on the “Share” button and selecting the app where you want to share the clip. Alternatively, you can first download the video, then post it on the app of your choice. Just keep in mind that the downloaded video will also feature a watermark to avoid any infringement issues.
Can you repost your own TikTok video?
Interestingly enough, you don’t have this option in the app. If you don’t have the video on your phone anymore, you’ll need to download it again on your device and upload it once again.
Can I turn off the feature if I don’t want others reposting my content?
Unfortunately, at this moment, it does not appear this is possible to do on TikTok, even if you’re a content creator.
What are some alternatives to the Repost button on TikTok?
The Repost button is just one way to share TikTok videos with others. The other alternatives include Stitch and Duet features which you can also access from the “Share” screen. Stitch allows you to combine another video (which you want to share) with the one you’re creating. As for Duet, it lets you post your video side-by-side with a video from another creator (in split screen view).
Image credit: Unsplash. All screenshots by Alexandra Arici.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox