Are you tired of the default New Tab page in Google Chrome? It’s great for displaying your most visited Web pages, apps, and recently closed tabs, but not everyone wants or needs access to that stuff. I’m sure you’re aware of the many New Tab page extensions available; the majority of them act as speed dials and can be used to display your favorite websites.
Today you’ll learn how to turn your New Tab page into something completely different. Here’s how to replace the default new tab page with the current time and weather.
1. Install the Chrome extension Currently.
2. Go to the Chrome Extensions page in your browser.
- Windows – Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar, select Tools, and then select Extensions.
- Mac – From the Windows menu in Chrome, select Extensions.
3. Click on the “Options” link under Currently. It will open in a new tab.
4. Customize the extension as you’d like. For instance, you can choose Celsius or Fahrenheit for the weather, 12 hours or 24 hours for the time, dark or light text, etc.
5. Once you save your options, open up a new tab to see what it looks like. You’ll notice that you can also access the extension’s options from an icon at the bottom right of the page.
6. The best thing about the Currently extension, is that you can always go back to the default New Tab page by clicking on the icon that looks like a speed dial – at the bottom right of the page, next to the options icon.
7. Clicking on the speed dial icon will take you back to the default New Tab page setup. Don’t worry, the next time you open a new tab you’ll be back to your beautiful new layout along with the time and weather.
With a new tab page this simple and so aesthetically pleasing, who needs the default version? Enjoy!