If you have ever wanted to mute a video permanently on your Mac, you can. While there are many apps that can help you remove the audio track from a video file, Apple’s iMovie can as well, and the app is free for most Mac users.
iMovie for Mac packs many great features, and one of them lets you remove the audio entirely from a video file making your video completely silent. This article will show you how to do that.
Removing Audio from a Video File Using iMovie on a Mac
iMovie app is the only app you need to do the task. No other apps or extensions/plugins are required.
If you don’t have the app on your Mac yet, download it from the Mac App Store.
1. Launch the iMovie app on your Mac.
2. When the app launches, click on the “Projects.” There will not be any initially.
Click on “Create New.”
3. The app will ask what kind of project you would like to create. It offers you two options: Movie and Trailer. Choose the “Movie” option here and move forward.
4. On the following screen click on the “File” menu and select the option that says “Import Media…”
5. The next screen should let you browse your Mac to select your video file. When you have selected the file, click on the “Import Selected” button.
6. Your video file should now be available in the app, but it is not yet ready for editing. To make it editable, simply drag and drop it onto the iMovie timeline below.
7. Now that the file is available in the timeline, right-click on the file and select “Detach Audio.”
8. The audio track from the video file is now individually available. To delete the video right-click on the green audio track in the timeline and select “Delete.”
9. The selected audio track will be deleted from the timeline, and it is no longer a part of your project or your video. To now save that silent video, click on the “File” menu and select “Share” followed by “File…”
10. The following screen lets you modify settings for the video that you are going to save. There are not any options that you need to change unless you want to do something else with your video.
To continue saving the video, click on the “Next…” button.
11. You will be asked to enter a name for the video and the location where you wish to save it. Choose a name and location, and then click on “Save.”
If you wish to remove the audio completely from a video file, the iMovie app on your Mac is just perfect for the task. The above guide should show you how to remove the audio from your video file.