Filmed a cool new video you’d like to share on social media or with friends, but the audio is not quite up to par? Not to worry, as you can easily remove the annoying background noises or audio straight from your Android phone in a matter of just a few seconds. This tutorial shows you how.
1. With Google Photos
Most Android phones these days have Google Photos preinstalled, which makes this the most convenient solution at your disposal. If you can’t find the app on your device, you can always get it from the Google Play Store. If you have the auto backup feature enabled in Photos, all the videos you’ve shot will be automatically uploaded to the app.
If you don’t, or if you received the video you want to mute from someone else, you’ll need to upload it to Google Photos first.
- Open the video you want to remove sound from on your Android phone.
- Tap on the “Share” button at the bottom. Depending on your Gallery app, this button may be in a different position.
- Select “Upload to Photos.” If you haven’t used this option before, it might not be located at the top, so you may have to press the “More” button to view additional options.
- Open the Google Photos app on your phone. The video you just uploaded should be waiting for you at the top. Tap on it to open it in full screen.
- A few options should appear at the bottom. Select “Edit.”
- In Edit mode, you should notice a “Sound” icon underneath the clip feed. Tap on it to mute the sound.
- Press the “Save copy” button to save the video without sound.
- Download the new clip back on your device.
Tip: Samsung devices come with a host of special features. One of these is Quick Share. Learn how you can use it.
2. Use Samsung’s Gallery App
If you have a Samsung phone, you can easily mute your video directly from its proprietary app.
- Open the video in Samsung’s Gallery app.
- At the bottom, press on the pencil-shaped icon.
- You’re now in the app’s editing screen. Tap on the Sound icon in the lower-left corner.
- Set the sound of the video to the lowest level, then press “Save” at the top to create a new video without sound.
3. Using a Third-Party App
You can also opt to download and install a third-party app on your Android phone with the option to mute sound. This solution could be the right choice if you’re looking to do more in-depth editing on your video. Downloading a dedicated video editing app will be beneficial due to all the extra features involved. Follow the steps below to remove sound from your video with one of the aforementioned apps, InShot.
- Open InShot on your phone.
- Select “Video” in the “Create New” screen.
- Select “New” and the video in question.
- You’ll be taken to the video editing screen. Select “Music” from the options at the bottom.
- Press once on the video feed at the bottom.
- This will bring up the Volume slider. Set it to 0, then press the “Check” button on the right. Tap the checkmark once again.
- Back in the main video editing screen, tap on “Save” in the upper-right corner.
This isn’t your only choice, of course, as you can perform this with other apps, including:
Tip: check out our guide on how to edit video in Canva like a pro.
4. Check Your Social App’s Settings
If you’re looking to upload the video on a social media app, then it’s quite possible the app already has the built-in settings needed for you to remove the audio from your clip. Detailed below is how to create a soundless Reel from a video that originally had an audio background.
- Open the video on your phone.
- Press the “Share” button.
- Select the Instagram Reels button from the options.
- The Reel editing screen will open up. Tap on “Edit clips.”
- Press on the “Add audio” option underneath the video feed.
- Select “Controls” at the top.
- Bring the “Camera audio” slider all the way down, then hit “Done.”
- Go back to the Reel editing screen, where sound is no longer audible.
- Post the Reel or edit it some more if you wish. For instance, you can even add photos to your Instagram Reels.
Similarly on WhatsApp, you can edit a video you’ve shared with someone and can remove its sound. Once done, you can reshare the video and delete the original. Most social apps have a similar setting – you just need to look for it. If your app of choice doesn’t have it, you can always use one of the other methods described in this post.
Your WhatsApp profile picture is missing? Learn how to make your image appear again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add another audio background to my video?
Sure. You have multiple options, such as when you upload your video directly to your social app of choice. For instance, you can add a musical background to your clips on TikTok. You can even add two different songs to one video if you’d like. And if you’re using a video-editing app such as InShot, you can add sound from there.
Can I mute my video selectively?
It’s possible but only if you’re using a third-party video-editing app with extra features. Once again, when using InShot, you can use only parts of your audio if you so choose.
Can I just add sound effects to my otherwise silent video?
Yes, you can add sound effects to your video. Do so from the app itself or from your video-editing app. For example, you can add a fun cricket sound effect to your video straight from Instagram.
Image credit: Freepik All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox