Many people don’t realize this: like Google, Facebook is a search engine as well. With more than a billion users and with tons of posting, sharing and updates everyday, one can easily perform a search on Facebook to find the stuff he/she has previously shared and/or find a long lost friend. Like what Google does, Facebook saves your search history as well.
Facebook creates a database of your search and uses it for advertisements you see on your news feed. We often see advertisements on our news feed matched with our search which we perform on our profile. To stop Facebook from tracking you, you can permanently delete the search history on Facebook. Here is how you can do it.
1. Log in to your Facebook account, and at the top right corner of the page, click on the down arrow and select “Activity Log.” This opens the “Activity Log” section.
2. On the left side there are many options available. Simple click on the “More” link under “Comments” to expand various options.
3. In the extended list of options, look for “Search” and click on it.
4. All your search items are shown as a list and are displayed by date. If you want to delete any particular search item, click on the block icon and select “Delete.”
5. It displays the “Remove Search” dialog box and asks for your confirmation whether you really want to remove the search or not. Click on the “Remove Search” button to proceed further.
If you want to remove your entire search history, you have to click on “Clear Searches” which is at the top of the page.
It displays a dialog box saying that “your search history is very helpful to give you better results when you perform a search,” but they never mention that your information is being collected and is being used to target you with advertisements.
Click “Clear Searches.” This removes or deletes your entire search history from Facebook.
While you can delete and remove your search history from Facebook, there is no way for you to prevent it from saving in the first place. The only solution is to regularly clean up your Facebook search history.
Let us know if this works for you.