When you log in to your Mac, you should see your name appearing in the menu bar. Usually it shows your full name next to where it shows the current time. While that is useful as it lets you know what account you are currently using (if you have multiple accounts), it can be a waste of screen real estate if you are the only person using that Mac and your name is particularly long.
Removing that long name from the menu bar is a good thing for you as it will free up some space there and allow you to add your menu bar apps. Here is how you can get it removed.
Removing Your Name from the Menu Bar
1. Go to the desktop area of your Mac.
2. Hold down the “Command” key on your keyboard, and drag your name from the menu bar over to the desktop.
3. When the name has been dragged over to the desktop, release the buttons, and you should see that your name is gone from the menu bar.
Your name has been successfully removed from the menu bar of your Mac.
Now that you have some free space there, you can add some of the apps designed especially for the Mac’s menu bar. You can also re-arrange the menu bar icons by holding down the “Command” key on your keyboard and dragging the icons to the desired place.
If, for some reason, you wish to get the name back into your menu bar, then you can use the following steps.
Getting Your Name Back in the Menu Bar
1. Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your desktop and select “System Preferences…”
2. Click on “Users & Groups” on the following screen to go to the Settings panel where you can modify the user settings.
3. Click on the lock icon on the screen that follows to be able to modify the settings.
4. Enter in your username and password and click on “Unlock.”
5. Click on “Login Options” to change your user login settings. In there you will find the “Show fast user switching menu as Full Name” option. Check the box for it, and you should see that your name is back in the menu bar.
If you find it unnecessary for your name to appear in the menu bar of your Mac, you can use the above guide to get it removed from there to use it for other useful apps.