Quick Response codes, also known as QR codes, are odd-looking, pixelated black-and-white designs often found in advertisements, billboards or print publications, and offer an efficient way to share website links or deals. Whenever you read a QR code on your device, you’ll probably be directed to a social media page, website, landing page, coupon, YouTube video or even open contact details that you can save to your device’s phone book.
They’re also used in virtual stores where shoppers simply scan items and get them delivered to their location at the chosen time, to transfer cryptocurrency, and for easy navigation in some cases.
How to Read QR Codes on Android
In order to read a QR code, you’ll need your Android smartphone with a camera, and, if there’s no native QR code reader, you may have to download a mobile app for it.
For this guide, we’ll use a Samsung S8+ phone to show you how to read a QR code from your Android phone. The steps may vary depending on your Android model, and whether you have the native QR reading functionality.
There are several ways you can read a QR code if you own a Samsung Galaxy series phone, especially the newer versions with Android Pie or higher version. These include:
- Using Bixby Vision
- Using Google Lens
- Using a Third-Party App
1. Using Bixby Vision
Open the QR code image you received from its location on your smartphone, and tap the Bixby Vision icon (looks like an eye) at the bottom-left of the screen.
Switch to the QR code option at the bottom of the screen, and tap it to select the QR code. It will redirect you to the relevant landing or web page or decode the information on the screen.
2. Using Google Lens
1. Press and hold down the Home button on your phone to launch Google Assistant.
2. Swipe up and tap Google Lens icon at the bottom of the screen. Alternatively, you can install the Google Lens app from the Play store.
3. Select the email account you’d like to use Google Lens with and tap OK. The app will open your camera and you can scan the QR code on a website or on your phone.
3. Using a Third-Party App
If your Android phone doesn’t have any of the above features or similar, you can always download a mobile app that can scan QR codes, or a QR Code reader. One of the best ones you can use for Android devices is the free QR Code Reader by TWMobile that can read different QR code types, including Wi-Fi codes, so you can connect to hotspots without keying in passwords.
1. Download and install the QR Code Reader from Google Play Store.
2. Launch the QR Code Reader app and give the necessary permissions.
3. Tap the image icon at the top of the screen and tap “Allow” for the app to access the QR code image from your phone.
4. Open the QR code image from your phone’s gallery app and position the QR code within the square on your screen. Tap the green Start button at the top of the screen so the app can begin to decode the message in the pattern.
The app will read the code and give you the result.
We hope you now know how to read QR codes on your Android phone. If your Android phone has a built-in QR code reader, you can use that to read the codes; otherwise, download and install a good QR code reader from Google Play Store to help you.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox