Instagram is all about sharing pictures in various forms with your followers and other people, and one way to do that is through collages. Collages allow users to add more than one photo to their Stories and posts. This tutorial shows you how to create a collage on Instagram and via other third-party apps and websites.
Use Instagram Stickers to Create Collages in Stories
This is perhaps the easiest method that Instagram users have to create a quick collage. You can use as many photos as you would like for these creations, which isn’t possible with other methods. Follow these instructions to create a collage in Stories.
- Open the Instagram app (Android | iOS) on your smartphone.
- Go to the Story creation screen either by tapping on the “+” button in the upper-right corner of your feed or pressing the “Your Story” bubble in the upper-left corner. Alternatively, you can swipe left on your display and select the “Story” option from the menu at the bottom.
- Select the background image for your collage or snap a new photo.
- Tap on the “Sticker” button at the top.
- Select the “Collage” icon.
- You won’t be able to additional images in bulk and will need to add them individually.
Editing Your Collage
- The new image will show up in miniature format on the background you previously selected. You can use your fingers to enlarge, shrink, or twist and rotate it. Hold down the image with your finger to move it to the desired part of the display.
- If you tap on the image, you can change the shape of the photo, such as from a square to a circle or star.
- To add another photo, repeat steps #4 through #6.
- Continue the process until you’ve added all your images. Keep in mind that you can also add normal Stickers to your collage but not additional images from Instagram’s generous database.
- If you wish to remove one of the images from the collage, drag the image toward the bottom of the screen to get rid of it. When you’re done editing, press “Your Story” to post the result.
Note: Do you want to post a collage on your Instagram profile instead of Stories? Before pressing the “Your Story” button to post the Story, tap on the three dots in the upper-right corner and select “Save.” This will save the image to your phone’s Gallery. From there, you can use it to make a regular post on Instagram.
This easy method won’t add your photos into a nice grid. But you can arrange them manually on a background. If you prefer something a bit more controlled, you may want to try the second option.
Take Advantage of Instagram’s Layout Option to Create a Collage for Stories
Using a layout to create a collage is a bit more restrictive, as you’ll be limited to a number of photos when creating your collage. If you don’t mind this aspect, follow the below steps.
- Launch the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Swipe left from your screen to go to camera mode and select “Story” from the menu at the bottom.
- Tap on the “Layout” icon in the vertical menu on the left.
- Press on the layout example underneath to select the configuration of your Story. You can up to six pics to your collage.
- Once you’ve selected a layout, start adding pictures. You can snap photos or add images from your own Gallery by tapping on the photo thumbnail in the lower-left corner.
- If you’d like to change the position of a certain image, long-press on it and drag toward the desired position. You can tap on a photo, then on the “Trash” icon to remove it.
- Once you’re satisfied, hit the checkmark icon at the bottom.
- View the final result in the next screen and add extra stickers, images, text and filters to your Story, if you would like.
- Once you’ve added everything, press the “Your Story” button to post your creation.
Note: you can download the Story to your phone, then use the image to do a regular post on Instagram.
Try a Third-Party App
If you feel Instagram’s options are a bit restrictive, you can easily turn to third-party apps to make your collages, as they usually have more options (although not all of the apps are free). You can try using Instagram’s own Layout app. The app boasts a few additional features that make it convenient to use. Follow the steps below to create a collage using this app.
Layout for Instagram
- Open the Layout app (Android | iOS) on your phone.
- Select all the images you want to use for your collage by long-tapping on them. This is a bonus of using the app, as Instagram won’t let you use an unlimited number of images.
- Select your favorite collage layout options in the upper section of the screen.
- You’ll be taken to the “Editing” screen where you can arrange the photos to look their best.
- It’s possible to arrange the portion of the image that will be visible by dragging your image with your finger. You can also resize the grid cells. Just tap on one and drag the blue handles until you’re happy with the result.
- The app offers option to easily mirror, flip or replace each of the photos you’re using.
- When you’re done, press the “Save” button in the upper-right corner. The collage will be saved to your Gallery app. Look for it in the Layout folder.
Another app that allows you to make collages is PicCollage (Android | iOS). However, note that it will add a watermark to your creations that you will only be able to remove if you pay a subscription.
- Open PicCollage on your device.
- Tap the “Grid” button or use the “Freestyle” option.
- Select one of the many Grid options.
- Add your photos to the grid. By default, the different parts of the grid will be separated by thick lines. You can use the “Layout” button and make them invisible if you would like. As a side benefit, it may allow you to get rid of the watermark later.
- Use the menu at the bottom to arrange and edit the images the way you would like. For instance, you can add stickers or add filters over the photos. Explore the options to make your collage look awesome.
- Once you’re finished editing, press the “Done” button in the upper-right corner.
- Select the “Save to Gallery” option.
- Find the image in your Gallery. You can try cropping it a little to get rid of the annoying watermark.
There are other apps that can help you create collages quickly, although most of them add watermarks to the end results. Here are some examples:
PicBow is a web collage maker that is free to use. It doesn’t look as modern as other options yet doesn’t make you pay for its features. The only annoying thing is that it adds a watermark. Fortunately, you can crop out the watermark
The advantage of this third-party method is that you can use Instagram for desktop to post the results of your work, but that only allows you to upload posts. Yet, this method makes it very easy to create a collage and post it from the same device.
- Open PicBow on your PC in your browser.
- Press the “Collage” button from the menu on top.
- Select the type of grid you’d like to use for your collage from the option on the right.
- Click on “Add Photos” on the left to import all the images you wish to use for your collage.
- Drag and drop the pictures into the appropriate spaces and arrange them into position.
- To make it easier to crop out the watermark, you may want to remove the borders between the images in your collage. To do so, go to “Collage & Border” on the right and use the “Border thickness” slider to minimize the borders.
- Press the “Download & Share” button at the top.
- You can quickly post your creation on Instagram. If you want to use the collage as a Story, you’ll need to send it to your mobile device first.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you also make an Instagram collage out of videos?
Yes, with Instagram’s integrated Layout feature for Reels. Swipe left from your feed and select “Reels” from the menu at the bottom, then tap “Layout” and choose between the three options. Alternatively, you can use an app like InShot to make a video collage that you can then post on Instagram.
Can you create a collage mixing videos and photos?
Yes. You’ll need an app like InShot that lets you overlay images over videos. You’ll need to use the “PIP” option when creating your Instagram collage.
Can I use a photo collage in Instagram Reels?
Yes, but you’ll need to prepare the collage beforehand using one of the apps or websites in this tutorial, then upload the creation as an Instagram Reel.
Image credit: Unsplash All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox