With Apple’s iOS 9.3 on your iPhone and OS X 10.11.4 on your Mac, you now have the ability to lock notes that are created in the Notes app on your devices. The feature allows you to password protect the notes that you do not want anyone to hage access to.
By setting up a password for your notes, you are protecting them from people spying on you. Once a note has been password-protected, it will ask you to enter the password each time you try to open it.
Here’s how you can go about locking notes on your Mac.
Locking Notes on a Mac
1. Launch the Notes app by clicking on Launchpad in your dock and searching for and clicking on Notes.
2. When Notes launches, select the note that you wish to lock with a password by clicking on it.
When you have selected the note, click on the lock icon on the top of the app and select “Lock This Note” to lock the selected note.
3. You can also lock a note by pulling down the “File” menu in the app and selecting the “Lock This Note” option.
4. The following screen asks you to enter the password you wish to use to lock the notes. Enter your preferred password in both boxes,, then enter a hint for the password and then click on “Set Password” to set the password.
5. Your notes are now locked, and the next time you open a note, you will see the following screen asking you to enter the password before you can access the content of the note.
Unlocking the Notes in the Notes app
If you no longer wish your notes to remain locked, you can unlock them using the same Notes app.
1. Launch the Notes app from Launchpad on your Mac.
2. Open the Note that is currently locked that you wish to unlock. You will need to enter the password.
3. When the note has opened, click on the lock icon on the top and select “Remove Lock” to unlock the note.
4. As soon as you select “Remove Lock” in the above step, the locked note will instantly be unlocked and will become available for access to anybody who can use your Mac.
Changing the Lock Password in the Notes app
If you would like to change the password that lets you access the locked notes, you can do so using the following steps.
1. Launch the Notes app on your Mac.
2. Click on the “Notes” menu on the top and select “Change Password…”
3. On the screen that follows, enter your old password, new password, and password hint, and then click on “Change Password.”
If you are concerned about the confidentiality of the notes on your Mac, the above guide should help you lock your notes with a password so that they are only accessible to you.