TuneIn is a popular online radio service that has over 100,000 real radio stations and more than four million podcasts streaming from every continent. While it comes with apps for almost every smartphone out there, it is lacking a desktop app for the various OS. If you are also a VLC user, you can now enjoy TuneIn Radio right in VLC. Here’s how you can do so:
Installing TuneIn Radio VLC addon
To get TuneIn Radio to work in VLC, all you need is the TuneIn Radio addon for VLC. Do note that it will only work in VLC version 2.x.x. If you are still using the old version of VLC, do upgrade it to the latest version before trying out the steps below.
1. Download TuneIn Radio from the VLC addon page. There are a few packages available. Download the last one that states “(Download all files in zip file to avoid raw coding)”.
2. Extract the zip file and open the “TuneIn Radio VLC” folder. You should find a “Playlist” and “Resource” folder, a “readme.md” and “tunein.lua” file.
3. If you have a TuneIn account, you can fill in your username and password to the tunein.lua file so it can retrieve your favorites from the site. Open the “tunein.lua” file with a text editor. Scroll down the page until you see the “username” and “password” field (it should be around line 37 and 38).
Change the “user” and “password” to your TuneIn username and password. Once done, save and close the file.
4. The next step is to move the “tunein.lua” file to the VLC folder so it can be found and run by VLC.
- In Linux, move the “tunein.lua” file to ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/sd/
- In Windows, move the “tunein.lua” file to %AppData%/VLC/VideoLAN/lua/sd.
- In Mac OS X, move the “tunein.lua” file to VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/sd
Note: Create the “sd” folder if it does not exist.
5. Next, move the “radiotimes.lua” and “streamtheworld.lua” files from the Playlist folder to “/lua/playlist” folder in the VLC directory. Similarly to the above, create the “playlist” folder if it doesn’t exist.
6. Open VLC. Go to “View -> Playlist”. At the sidebar, under the Internet section, you should now see “TuneIn Radio” in the list. Click on it and you will be able to access your Favorites.
That’s it. You can now enjoy TuneIn Radio in VLC and on your desktop. Enjoy!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox