If you are a regular user of both Instagram and Facebook, it may be helpful to link your two accounts so that you can share content across both platforms. But you may not want the two to be connected. This guide shows you how to link your accounts and how to unlink Instagram from Facebook if you desire.
Why Link Your Instagram to Facebook?
You can continue to use Instagram and Facebook independently. However, if you’re on both platforms, it’s easier to have the two linked together. By doing so, you’ll be saving yourself the extra time you’d otherwise spend on posting the same content in two places.
Once linked, Instagram lets you share posts automatically to Facebook or manually select the posts you want to share to Facebook from the new post page. In addition, you can choose to send posts, stories, or both to Facebook and share Instagram stories as Facebook stories as well.
How to Link Your Instagram Account to Your Facebook Profile
You can only link your Instagram account to Facebook from the Instagram mobile app or the web application and not the other way around. It used to be possible in the past, but that’s no longer the case.
Link Instagram to Facebook on Desktop
On the desktop, you can easily link your Instagram to your Facebook by accessing the Accounts Center. Follow the instructions below.
1. Open Instagram on your PC.
2. Click on your profile picture in the upper-right corner.
3. Select Settings.
4. Scroll down and click on “Accounts Center” on the left.
5. On the “Accounts Center” page, tap on “Add accounts.”
6. If you’re already logged in to Facebook on your desktop, you’ll be asked whether you want to continue with that particular account.
Alternatively, log in with the Facebook account you want to link to your Instagram.
7. Click on Continue.
8. Select “Yes, finish setup.”
That’s it. You’ve connected the two accounts.
How to Link Instagram to Facebook on Mobile
On mobile, the process is quite similar. For the purpose of this tutorial, we are using an Android device, but the steps on iOS are the same.
1. In the Instagram app, tap on your profile picture in the bottom right of your profile.
2. Tap on the hamburger menu in the top right.
3. Select Settings from the menu that pops up.
4. Tap on “Accounts Center” at the bottom.
5. Select “Set up Accounts Center.”
6. Choose the Facebook account you want to connect. If you’ve already logged in on this device with your Facebook account, tap “Continue.”
Alternatively, tap on the “Not you” button if you wish to log in with another account or when using a borrowed device. You will be redirected to a Facebook login page.
7. Confirm your choice by tapping “Yes, finish setup.”
8. Agree to sync your profile picture if you want to, then tap Continue. Select “Not Now” if you want your name and profile picture synced.
Now that you’ve linked the two accounts, you can share an Instagram post to Facebook from the same page where you add a caption. You can also opt to have your stories and posts shared automatically between apps.
Tap on the “Story & Post Sharing” in Accounts Center on your Instagram account, then toggle on the option to automatically share stories and posts on Facebook. Alternatively, you can opt to automatically share Facebook stories on Instagram.
How to Link Your Instagram DMs to Facebook Messenger
Once you’ve linked your two accounts, you can upgrade your direct messaging experience by connecting your Instagram DMs to Facebook Messenger.
Note: you can only do this through your mobile Instagram app.
1. In the Instagram app, tap on the DM paper airplane icon in the upper-right corner.
2. You will be greeted with a new screen that invites you to upgrade to Messenger. Tap on the “Update” button.
This action will overhaul your overall DM experience to look more like Messenger. You’ll find all the familiar features, too, including the abilities to reply to individual messages; forward messages; customize chat colors; and add selfie stickers, custom emoji reactions and more.
If don’t see this option in your DMs, then try hitting Settings to see if you can spot an “Update Messaging” offer in there.
How to Disconnect Instagram DMs from Facebook Messenger
Want to go back to the old DMs in Instagram? You can do that, while still keeping your Instagram and Facebook accounts connected.
1. In your Instagram app, go to Settings.
2. Select Privacy.
3. Go to Messages.
4. Under “Message Controls,” find the “Others on Facebook” option and tap on it.
5. Select “Don’t receive requests.”
This should unlink your Instagram DMs from Facebook Messager and prevent others you’ve chatted with on Messenger from sending you requests.
How to Unlink Your Instagram and Facebook Accounts
If, for whatever reason, you don’t want to have the two apps connected anymore, you can unlink your Instagram from Facebook quite easily. Just note that you won’t be able to use the hybrid DMs – Messenger experience if you do. Obviously, it won’t be possible to post on Instagram and Facebook at the same time if you go through with it. What’s more, you’ll stop seeing Instagram’s suggestions to follow your Facebook friends on IG. If you’re ready to disconnect the two, follow the instructions below.
Unlink Instagram and Facebook on Desktop
1. On your PC, go to Accounts Center again (through Settings).
2. You should see the list of accounts you’ve linked so far. Click on the Facebook account you want to remove.
3. Click on the “Remove from Accounts Center” button.
4. Select Continue.
5. Tap on “Remove #accountname.”
The accounts will disconnect.
Unlink Instagram and Facebook on Mobile
1. On your PC, go to Accounts Center again (through Settings).
2. Tap on “Accounts & profiles.”
3. Select the Facebook account you wish to remove from the list.
4. Tap on the “Remove from Accounts Center” option.
5. Select Continue.
6. Tap on “Remove #account.”
Your account should disappear from the Accounts Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why can’t I upgrade to the Instagram – Facebook hybrid messaging experience?
It seems the feature is not yet available in all regions. While the option was launched back in September 2020, and Facebook mentioned plans to expand it globally, it’s still not available on a wider scale.
2. How can I share select Instagram posts to Facebook without enabling the auto feature?
You can simply toggle the “Also post” option in Facebook from the “New Post” page. As for Stories, there’s a “Share to Facebook” button once you’ve posted the Story on Instagram. Use that to send it directly to Facebook.
3. Can I connect other social accounts to Instagram?
Yes, you can. You will have to go to “Settings -> Account -> Sharing to other apps” and add accounts from there. You can link your Twitter, Tumblr, Ameba or OK.ru profiles.
Using Instagram together with Facebook may help you attract more followers to your page, so if you’re looking to boost your audience, you will probably benefit. On the other side of the coin, if you’re thinking of taking a break from social media, learn how to deactivate your Facebook account or delete it for good. If you’re on Snapchat, we have a guide that shows you how to get rid of your account.