These days most of us have active profiles on multiple social apps. Connecting your other accounts is supported on apps such as TikTok, where you can also add your Instagram and YouTube. This post shows you how to do that so that you can bring more visitors to your Instagram and also cross-post with ease.
Tip: have you found a cool clip on Instagram? Learn how to repost on TikTok to share videos.
How to Connect Your TikTok to Instagram
Before we begin, we need to note one thing: while connecting your TikTok to your Instagram account is possible, you won’t be able to do it the other way around, meaning you can’t add your TikTok to the Instagram app. Instagram only lets you connect a Facebook or Meta account to it, so it’s a bit restrictive in that sense.
Secondly, you’ll need to use the TikTok app for Android or iOS to connect the two accounts, as the operation can’t be done from a PC. Follow the steps below to link your accounts.
- Open the TikTok app and log in with your credentials (if you haven’t already).
- Press the “Profile” button in the lower part of the display.
- On your profile page, tap “Edit Profile” underneath your Followers/Following stats.
- In the lower part of the display, you’ll notice the “Social” section. Here you can add your Instagram or YouTube account. Tap on Instagram.
- You’ll be taken to a login screen where you’ll be asked to add your credentials for the Instagram account you want to link.
Good to know: if you linked your Instagram to your Facebook account, learn how to disconnect them should the need arise.
- TikTok asks for permission to receive your Instagram profile information on the next screen. Press “Allow.”
- Your Instagram account should be visible in the “Edit Profile” screen.
- If you visit your profile, you’ll be able to view a small Instagram logo icon next to the “Add friends” button. Every user who has liked their Instagram account to their TikTok profile will receive this same logo on their profile (or the YouTube logo, if they opted only to link their YouTube account).
- If you press the icon, you’ll be taken directly to the user’s Instagram profile. If the person has also linked their YouTube account, you’ll see a pop-up appear at the bottom that lets you tap on the profile you’re interested in.
Note: the Instagram or YouTube icons won’t be visible if you’re browsing TikTok profiles from your PC.
How to Disconnect Your TikTok from Your Instagram
If you decide you no longer want your TikTok to be linked to your Instagram, it’s easy to disconnect the two. Retrace steps #1 through #4 from the above section. Tap on Instagram, and you’ll see a pop-up notifying you that “Your Instagram link will be removed from your profile.” Tap “Confirm,” and the account will be removed from your profile. It’s that simple.
Tip: did you know that you can create Stories on TikTok as well? We show you how.
How to Post on TikTok and Instagram at the Same Time
Having your Instagram account on your TikTok profile may get you more followers on the Meta-owned app, but linking the two together also has another important benefit: cross-posting. You can automatically share your TikTok posts straight to Instagram. We show you how in the steps below.
If you just created a video, follow these steps to share your TikTok video to Instagram from the creation screen.
- Open the TikTok app.
- Tap the “+” button at the bottom to start shooting a new video.
- Alternatively, upload a video from your gallery.
- Once you have the video, press the red checkmark at the bottom.
- If you’d like to edit the video, you can do so on the next screen.
- Once you’re satisfied, press “Next.”
- Look at the bottom of the display on the “Post” screen. You’ll notice multiple buttons underneath “Automatically share to.” Even if you can’t link your Facebook to TikTok, there’s an option to share automatically to the app as well as WhatsApp. The other two options are dedicated to Instagram.
- Press the first option if you wish to send the video via Direct message or to transform it into a Reel or Story. The other button auto-creates a Story.
- Once you’ve made your selection, tap on “Post.”
- While your TikTok video is uploading, you’ll see a message at the top that says: “We’ll redirect you to Instagram to share your video.”
Note: you’ll need to be logged in on your phone with the Instagram account where you want the TikTok video to be posted.
- Once the TikTok finishes uploading, a pop-up will appear at the bottom, asking you to select how you want to share it on Instagram (if you selected the first Instagram button while in the TikTok “Post” screen). Alternatively, if you opted for the second button, it will directly generate an Instagram Story.
- The Story or Reel will be automatically generated on Instagram.
- The Instagram video will feature the TikTok watermark with the app’s logo and your account name.
If you want to share an older TikTok video (which is already on your profile) to Instagram, following the instructions below:
- Open the video in question in the TikTok app.
- Press the three dots on the right.
- Select “Stories,” “Instagram Direct” or simply “Instagram” from the options that appear at the bottom.
- Opting for the last option will allow you to share the video as a Reel as well.
- As above, the video will feature the TikTok watermark.
Tip: did you know that you can take notes on Instagram? Here’s how to use it in Direct messaging.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I link more than one Instagram account to my TikTok?
It’s not possible. Only one Instagram account can be linked to TikTok at a time. If you want to add another Instagram account, you’ll have to delete the existing one, then add the other one, as shown above.
Can I share a TikTok video to Instagram even if I haven’t linked the two accounts?
Yes! Press the three dots on the right side of ANY video and select one of the Instagram buttons from the options that appear. Note that these are available only in the mobile TikTok app and not via PC. On mobile, you can also share to apps like Facebook, Discord, Telegram, Snapchat, and Reddit. Some of these options also appear on PC. This applies to your videos as well as other people’s videos.
What can I do if I can’t share my TikTok video to Instagram?
It might have to do with your clip’s aspect ratio. TikTok videos have an aspect ratio of 9:16, while Instagram’s has a maximum of 4:5. If you’re getting an error when trying to post from TikTok to Instagram, try cropping your video using an app such as Canva (Android | iOS) or InShot (Android | iOS).
Image credit: Unsplash. All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox