Mac has a number of download managers available for it, and a quick Google search will tell you what all the most popular download managers are. However, it doesn’t end there. There are a few download managers that aren’t that famous but that work really great and help you download files using various ways.
In the following roundup we cover five lesser-known download mangers for Mac from our Software Discovery section.
1. Progressive Downloader
Progressive Downloader is a download manager for macOS with multi-thread downloading support and tight integration with your favorite Internet browser.
- Integration with all major browsers
- Built-in FTP/SFTP browser
- Automatic search for the fastest servers available
- Support for AppScript and Automator
WFDownloader is a powerful, yet easy-to-use, batch/bulk download application for your machine that lets you quickly download a bunch of files at once.
- Organized batch downloading
- Easy to use
- Proxy support
- Strong resume support
- Download entire tv series, animes, mangas, videos, music, image galleries & wallpapers, etc., from supported sites
3. FreeRapid Downloader
FreeRapid is an easy to use Java downloader that supports downloading from Rapidshare, Youtube, Facebook, Picasa and other file-sharing services, including the newer ones like mega.co.nz.
Simply copy and paste your links from a browser to this application. FreeRapid Downloader will handle the rest itself. No more clicking or uncomfortable waiting.
It is a Java downloader, so it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Support for concurrent downloading from multiple services
- Downloading using proxy list
- Support for streamed videos or pictures
- Download history
- Smart clipboard monitoring
- Automatic checking for file’s existence on server
- Auto shutdown options
- Automatic plugins updates
- Simple CAPTCHA recognition
- Easy to use
pyLoad is the Free and Open Source download manager written in Pure Python and designed to be extremely lightweight, fully customizable and remotely manageable.
It works with Windows, macOS and Unix-based systems like Linux and FreeBSD.
Once installed, it lets you quickly download files and helps you organize them on your computer.
- Web interface
- Android Client
- IRC, XMPP Interface
- Captcha Recognition
Mipony is a free download manager specially designed to optimize and automate the downloads.
It provides fully automatic downloads, optimizes your connection, works with premium accounts, has an embedded web browser, and has remote control.
It is available for both Windows and Mac.
- Continuous download
- Download attempts
- Web remote control
- Control how many files can be downloaded simultaneously from each server
- Has the option to join the downloaded files (HJSplit)
- Can capture individual links or any text that contains any number of links from the clipboard
While some of these tightly integrate with your web browser, others let you use your premium accounts on your favorite websites to download content. You may want to check out our Software Discovery section where we have other interesting software. Let us know what you think of our software repository in the comments below.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox