Last week, we show you how to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 for iPhone 3G in Windows. As promised, here is the how-to for Mac users. While this tutorial is very simple, I will need everyone to follow every step conscientiously. Before you start, here are some things that you have to consider:
- Backup your iPhone before doing the jailbreak. Restoring the data is easier to do after the jailbreak process.
- Jailbreaking may void the warranty of your iPhone; you should know that after doing the following steps, you cannot just go to Apple stores and proclaim your iPhone is not working.
- You must be responsible for securing your iPhone after the jailbreak.
- This tutorial is for Mac users only.
- RedSn0w, the tool used in this tutorial to jailbreak your iPhone, is NOT used to UNLOCK your iPhone.
- Make sure your iPhone 3G runs on iTunes 9.2 before you proceed.
- RedSn0w will never work on iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4.
Here are the steps you should follow to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 for your iPhone 3G.
Step 1. Download the following files:
- A. Latest release of RedSn0w for Mac OS. Click Here to download.
- B. Latest iOS 4.0.2 firmware or iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw
- C. iOS 4 firmware file or iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
Step 2. Extract RedSn0w and put it in a directory you can easily access; you should know that the RedSn0w is provided to you in a zip file. Here are the files you must be seeing when you unzip the file;
Step 3. Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer – it will automatically launch iTunes. On the left side, under “Devices” select the iPhone 3G device. Press on the option key and click on “Restore” button. Please see screenshot for your guide.
Step 4. Now, browse through the directory where you have unzipped the redsn0w file and select the firmware file for iOS 4.0.2 (iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw) and click on “Choose” button to let iTunes update your iPhone for the required firmware.
Step 5. Go back to the directory where you unzipped the redsn0w application. Launch redsn0w and you will be asked to choose the correct IPSW file. Choose the iOS 4 firmware (iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw). Choosing the iOS 4.0.2 firmware will lead to an error message: “Unable to recognize specified IPSW.”
Step 6. Redsn0w will verify the IPSW or the firmware file you chose and will notify you if it is successful. When you click on “Next” redsn0w will start preparing the data for jailbreaking.
Step 7. The next step will prompt you to choose among the options given for your iPhone 3G and there are four checkboxes that are already selected by default. I advice you to use the default settings.
Step 8. Click “Next” to continue with the jailbreak. The next screen will prompt you to turn off your iPhone 3G. If you are ready, click “Next.”
Step 9. To complete the jailbreak, you should put your iPhone into DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you step-by-step on how to do it. Follow the screenshots;
Step 10. Once the process is done, your iPhone 3G will reboot and redsn0w will upload new RAM disk and kernel.
Step 11. You will soon be notified that the jailbreaking is done. Simply click on “Finish” button to close the redsn0w.
Step 12. Lastly, your iPhone 3G will reboot longer than usual. After which, you can see the Cydia application on your iPhone 3G’s home screen. That means, everything is successful.
Windows users, don’t forget to check out our previous article on how to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 for iPhone 3G in WinOS.