Big or small, utility software can sometimes save the day for you. Sometimes they just help get rid of a major annoyance while at other times they can perform really necessary jobs. Take a look through the interesting utility software here to see if you can find one that could possibly save the day for you.
BleachBit will get rid of all the junk on your Windows or Linux system, but it does a whole lot more as well. It can also shred unwanted files so that they cannot be recovered, wipe your hard disk to hide traces of a file, and even “vacuum” Firefox as a way of making it faster.
- Erases private files so that “even God can’t read them”
- Operates simply by requiring you to only read, check boxes, and click options
- Open source, meaning you are free to share, learn, and modify
- Includes no adware, spyware, malware, or browser toolbars
- Translates into 64 languages
- Prevent data recovery by shredding files
AutoHideMouseCursor allows you to temporarily hide the mouse cursor when it’s proving to be irritating or getting in your way. It will leave you with a clear view of the text or whatever else you’re having a difficult time seeing because the mouse cursor is constantly in your way.
- Very small portable Windows program
- Classic and new strategy for hiding the mouse
- Uses low CPU and an adjustable timer
- Includes an optional translation function
Amphetamine resides in your menu bar and will allow you to override your energy saver settings to keep your Mac awake. It will even allow you to keep your Mac awake only when specific apps are running.
- Will optionally keep the display and drives awake
- Includes several activation time presets and allows you to set your own
- Can be scheduled to work during specified times of the day
- Can be activated/deactivated numerous ways including in your menu bar or at login
- Supports AppleScript
Caffeinated, the Windows answer to Caffeine for Mac, this utility will prevent your PC from going to sleep. It works by placing an icon near the clock and works with just a simple click.
- Allows you to specify a time period to keep your PC awake
- Free, open-source software
UNetbootin allows you to create a bootable Live USB drive for Ubuntu and other distros, meaning not having to burn a CD. It can either download one of the many distributions that are supported or allow you to supply your own Linux .iso file.
- Creates bootable Live USB drives
- Can download Linux distributions for you
- Supports ISO files that you provide
- Can be used from the command line
Make Tech Easier’s Software Discovery section is your go-to place to find out new and interesting software. Check it out and let us know if we have missed your favorite software.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox