We write more than ever with technology the way it is, and because of that it helps to have the right tools along with a useful environment, be it distraction-free, open source, or with all the bells and whistles. If you are looking for a good text editing software, here are some interesting tools you can check out.
WriteMonkey is great for you if you are looking for no distractions such as notifications of social media, emails, or even the weather while you’re working on Windows. You start with just a blank page, but by the time you are done can save your work to a .txt file.
- Full screen editing with word count
- No installation necessary
- Fast and responsive
- Can be portable if added to a USB key
- Customizable with font, size, color, and info you want on the info bar
- Supports Markdown Extra, Textile, and WikiCreole for markup
- Can work in a timer mode to limit your time writing
- Advanced backup/history system
- Integrates with the Firefox extension It’s All Text
Lime Text is developed in Go and it’s designed to be the open-source followup to Sublime Text for Linux, macOS, and Windows. The QML and command-line interface frontends can be used with the pluggable backend.
- Free and open source
- Distraction free
- Syntax highlighting
Bluefish Editor is geared towards programmers and web developers. It features options to write websites, scripts, and programming code and supports various programming and markup languages. It’s released under the GNU GPL license and is open source and multi-platform.
- As lean and clean as it can be for a GUI editor
- Starts quickly and loads hundreds of files in seconds
- Easily opens more than 500 documents
- Work on multiple projects while it automatically restores settings for each project
- Multi-threaded support for remote files using gvfs
- Powerful search and replace
- Based on filename and/or contact pattens, it open files recursively
Emacs has been around for a long time. This real-time display editor for Linux, macOS, and Windows is extensible, customizable, and self-documenting. It features the possibility to write in several different communication languages as well as programming/markup languages and has tools to compile, run, and test programs.
- Editing modes that include syntax coloring for various file types
- Built-in documentation with a new-user tutorial
- Full Unicode support
- Customizable using Emacs Lisp code on a graphical interface
- Additional features of a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, and more
- Includes packaging system for downloading and installing extensions
Code Writer is a free text and code editor for Windows and it is fully supported on ARM, x86, and x64 devices. It’s built to be fast, fluid, and powerful with active syntax highlighting updates. It allows for multiple documents to be opened at the same time with a document switcher in a slide-down app bar.
- Chromeless editing UI
- Easily edit documents
- Choice of themes
- Advanced editing
- Snapped view support
Make Tech Easier’s Software Discovery section is your go-to place to find out new and interesting software. Check it out and let us know if we have missed your favorite software.