Our lives revolve around pictures now. But we don’t just take pictures of the things we do and the places we visit, we also take pictures of the things we do and the places we visit online so that we can easily share what we’re looking at. If you’re looking for an easier way to take screen captures, screenshots, screencaps, screen grabs, whatever you want to call them, these five software fit the bill.
MWSnap – This Windows software allows you to take screen captures of the whole desktop, an individual window, an active menu, a control, or a fixed or free-floating area of the screen. It handles five different graphics formats and several graphical tools.
- Five snapping modes
- Supports five image formats and their color depth and quality settings
- System-wide hotkeys
- Copy and paste to clipboard
- Auto-saving and auto-printing
- Auto-start in Windows
- Minimize to the system tray
ShareX is an open-source software for Windows. It allows you to take screen captures or screencasts of selected areas to be saved to the clipboard or hard disk. You can also upload them to over eighty different file-hosting services.
- Free and open source
- No interruptive ads
- Easy sharing of screen captures
- Eighty destinations supported
- Customize your workflows
With Snipaste, after you snip your desired part of the screen, you can paste it back as a floating window. Additionally, you can convert text or color information from a clipboard into a floating window that you can then zoom, rotate, flip, or make translucent or click-through.
- Windows is supported with Linux and Mac coming soon
- Intuitive snipping
- Paste images back in as floating windows
- Annotate images easily
Lightscreen – This Linux and Windows open-source software works in the background to automate the process of saving and storing screenshots and is initiated with a hotkey.
- Easy access from system tray icon
- Global hotkey access for six configurable actions
- Screenshot uploading to imgur.com
- Use integrated image viewer to preview window
After installing Lightshot on either Windows or Mac platforms, you’ll be able to capture screenshots more quickly than ever. You can screenshot an entire screen or just a selected area and can edit your snaps within the software.
- Make quick screenshots of selected areas
- Easy to use
- Share your snaps on the Web
- Great editing features
- Search for similar images
Make Tech Easier’s Software Discovery section is your go-to place to find out new and interesting software. Check it out and let us know if we have missed your favorite software.