If you are running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick and own a copy of the Photoshop CS 5 installer, you will find that you won’t be able to install it under wine. Photoshop CS5 on Ubuntu 10.4 works fine, but not 10.10. Here’s what I did to get it running on my Ubuntu Maverick machine.
What you’ll need:
- A computer running Ubuntu Maverick
- A computer running Windows (it doesn’t have to be a computer. It can be a virtual machine running Windows in Virtualbox)
- A copy of Photoshop CS5 installer. You can get the trial version at Adobe website
Let’s get started
In your Windows machine, download (if you don’t own a copy) and install the Photoshop CS5.
Once the installation is completed, go the Start menu and type “regedit” on the search bar. The registry window will appear. Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Adobe“, right click the Adobe folder and select “Export”. When prompted, name the file “adobe.reg”.
Back to your Ubuntu Maverick machine, we will need to install wine and the Microsoft true type fonts
This will create the “.wine” folder and prepare wine for usage.
Next, we are going to perform some hacks
Copying Photoshop files from Windows
Since we can’t get the installer to work in Ubuntu 10.10, we have to copy the core files from Windows to the Ubuntu machine. Folders/files you need to copy/paste are listed down below:
|Copy the following folders/files from Windows||and||Paste to Ubuntu|
|C:\Program Files\Adobe\||->||$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe|
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe||->||$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe|
|C:\Documents and Settings\$USER\Application Data\Adobe||->||$HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER/Applications Data/Adobe|
Lastly, save the “adobe.reg” file to the Home folder. In your terminal, type:
This will import the “adobe.reg” into the wine registry.
That’s it. Now go to “Home -> .wine -> drive_c -> Program Files -> Adobe ->Adobe Photoshop CS5“, right click on the Photoshop.exe file and select “Open with Wine Windows Program Loader”.
Photoshop CS5 should load. You can also add a shortcut to the Application Menu for quick access.
1. Some people have mentioned that Photoshop CS5 in Ubuntu crashed with the text function. This has been fixed with the addition of atmlib.dll file.
2. Complex PSD file should load without problem.
3. The above mods were done with wine version 1.2.1. and Photoshop CS5 trial version. If you are using other version of wine or Photoshop, there is no guarantee that the above method will work.
Alternative to Photoshop CS5
For those who can’t get Photoshop CS5 to work, or find it too heavy for your daily usage, you can try out PhotoShop CS5 Portable. This is the unofficial portable version of Photoshop CS5 (not released by Adobe) and the installer work fine with wine. You will still need the atmlib.dll file for the text function to work.
PS: I am not going to tell you where to download the portable version. You can ask big brother G for answer. Also, any comment with links pointing to the file will also be deleted
Image credit: realtimecounter